Vicfreg

Ethanol and Fuel LIne Advice...

So, I noticed a spot under the rear of my car, and checked it out.

3 hours later, after draining 10 gallons of gas out of my tank...

My fuel line between the tank and my SS fuel lines in the car was a short piece (less than 6") of SAE-30R7 3/8" fuel line that I got from NAPA.  It's been on the car about 6 years, and when I touched it, pretty much cracked in my hand.   Then, looking around, I wiggled my fuel sender wire, and that started leaking.  

The bottom line is that the "rubber" parts at the tank end of my fuel system are shot.  So, I had to drain the tank, and I need a new fuel sender and new fuel line.

I normally use Ethanol free gas, or over the Winter, use a Sta-Bil product that is supposed to deal with the Ethanol effects.

Anyway, my approach has not been effective.

Looking for advice/recommendations/tips on replacement strategy to avoid doing this again.   I am headed to the front of the car over the weekend to check my rubber fuel line transition from the frame rail to the fuel pump feed, and then the fuel pump to the carb.  

Thanks.....

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/department/fittings-hoses/part-type/hoses-miscellaneous?N=4294951003%2B4294948091%2B4294865063%2B4294868574

These are E85 and Ethanol compatible hoses.

I think ethanol is something we have to deal with in near future. Here in Norway, legislation was passed last year for 10% ethanol mix from next year, and 20% from 2020 on regular fuel. Premium fuels will still be available, but If I know Norwegian politics right, they will tax it so hard that it will not be an option. Even today, 70% of the pump price is taxes. We're at $6.64/gallon for regular gas (95 RON), and $7.10/gallon for premium (98 RON). Crazy when you think of that we are an oil exporting nation. The Norse sea is full of it.

So, I'm currently designing my own fuel system, and I'm making it ethanol compatible, even if I plan to run a carburetor at first. One important aspect is the fuel pump, especially electric ones. Ethanol does not lubricate, so the pump will cavitate and will deposit metal that clog up injectors and fuel rails. It's a lot more expensive than a conventional fuel system, but I'd rather spend the money now, than do it later plus an engine rebuild.

I dealt with this problem trying to find the right hose for our boat, John Deere and Stihl equipment the only hose I've found that is compatible with ethanol is made out of nitrile rubber like the link above. Stihl had to recall 3 units I own 1 kombi set and 2 chain saws the ethanol would warp the gas cap several people had them leak catching on fire.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dac-80080?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dayco&gclid=CKjd7NPWydICFYlrfgodK5IK1A

Stabil does nothing that deals with this problem all the stabilizers work in similar ways they encapsulate the moisture so it can be run through the engine when separation occurs with ethanol gas, I try to use ethanol free in the Mustang and John Deere ethanol separation starts in about 2 weeks if your gas is 93 octane it could be 1 month old at the station leave it in your car for a couple months and your running about 84 octane gas.

Here's a good article on it.

http://www.lcbamarketing.com/phase_separation_in_ethanol_blen.htm

Some interesting stuff here.  I am using the NAPA SAE 30R7 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose on my car.  Using California 90 whatever gas and any bodies guess what it's made of ?  Before I bought a replacement fuel pump I did ask their ' TECH ' site a question.  I did buy the fuel pump and have not had any problems with either.  Brian

post-33155-0-67125500-1489081022.jpg

Some interesting stuff here.  I am using the NAPA SAE 30R7 3/8" Fuel Injection Hose on my car.  Using California 90 whatever gas and any bodies guess what it's made of ?  Before I bought a replacement fuel pump I did ask their ' TECH ' site a question.  I did buy the fuel pump and have not had any problems with either.  Brian

All fuel hoses and carbs should be inspected to make sure they are compatible with ethanol blends it's just a matter of when they will fail not if.

The other problem is water separation & loss of octane on boats we ran inline water separators, After my first plugged water separator I had to drain the tank 50 gallons of gas lucky it wasn't full. Then I put 5 gallons of non ethanol gas in it to flush the system it took 3 filters before there was no evidence of water in the tank

A good way to test your fuel tank is to drain about a quart of gas into a clear container from the tank or if you can from the fuel line going to the carb let it sit for an hour if there's water in your system you'll see a clear line of water below the fuel where it separates.  

Here's a great link to locate most ethanol free gas locations. I just filled my Cad ATS with it yesterday. 

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Thanks for all of the input.  I got some "R9" hose from Advance Auto, it is about $6 per foot.  I checked the specs and it should work for ethanol based fuels.

My boat is fuel injected, so I have not had that problem with the hoses, but do with water if the weather gets really cold. I put a can of Sea Foam in before I run it, and that seems to work.

The guys at the local race shop here in NC use Fragola push lok hose.  It has an outer braid, and is about the same price as the "R9".   I got some of that also.  Pretty neat stuff, and uses their push lok fittings.