prayers1

Question about Donut gaskets on Steering Column

I got the doughnut (foam) gaskets and plastic insert from Muscle Car Research. When I put the doghnut gasket (C9AZ-3E629-A Steering Column Shaft Insulator)

in the smaller tube, the steering column rod is very tight to turn, there is too much pressure from that gasket.

www.musclecarresearch.com/C9AZ-3E629-A

Any ideals what to do, should I put some oil on it.

I want to leave it out. How did this work with the original set up

I guess I installed that one in the wrong location because I didn't have that issue.  I pushed it in between the inner and outer tube.  It sounds like you are installing it in the correct location.  Well, I'm not fixing it now.  Maybe you can trim the inside of the foam with an Exacto Knife or sharp razor blade, increasing the inside diameter a little.

I maybe placing it the wrong location?????

3E629 is the gasket in question. Here is an exploded view, it looks like one pic is for 69 and the other for the 70. I have a fixed 69 column.

My thinking is this, 7347 goes inside the outer tube followed by 7C102. Then you place the inner tube into the outer.

There is a smaller plastic collar also called 7347 that goes as the end cap of the inner tube, then take 3E629 (smaller doughnut gasket) slide it on the lower steering/couple shaft, then place the shaft within the inner tube.

The problem is that I can force 3E629 around the shaft but inside 7347, then shaft meets resistance spinning within the doughnut.

Should I be placing 7347 on the shaft first, followed by 3E629, then sliding the shaft within the inner tube?

I'm thinking that I shouldn't be placing 3E629 around 7347, but rather have it sitting behind 7347.

From looking at the pictures should 3E629 be placed in front of or behind the end cap 7347?????????

Am I installing this wrong?

post-14069-0-40269800-1488986244.jpg

post-14069-0-61527300-1488986262.jpg

When you cut the tube did you allow for the free play movement in the inner shaft?

This allows it to slide up into the colume to remove the rag joint.

My guess is that it is too long and your compressing the inner shaft all the way in.

Yes it goes foam then plastic ring.

I maybe placing it the wrong location?????

3E629 is the gasket in question. Here is an exploded view, it looks like one pic is for 69 and the other for the 70. I have a fixed 69 column.

My thinking is this, 7347 goes inside the outer tube followed by 7C102. Then you place the inner tube into the outer.

There is a smaller plastic collar also called 7347 that goes as the end cap of the inner tube, then take 3E629 (smaller doughnut gasket) slide it on the lower steering/couple shaft, then place the shaft within the inner tube.

The problem is that I can force 3E629 around the shaft but inside 7347, then shaft meets resistance spinning within the doughnut.

Should I be placing 7347 on the shaft first, followed by 3E629, then sliding the shaft within the inner tube?

I'm thinking that I shouldn't be placing 3E629 around 7347, but rather have it sitting behind 7347.

From looking at the pictures should 3E629 be placed in front of or behind the end cap 7347?????????

Am I installing this wrong?

attachicon.gifSteering column 1969-fixed.jpg

attachicon.gifsteering column 1970-fixed.jpg

I think you are correct.  I wish I has that picture when I did mine.  Try trimming the inside of the foam gasket if it's too snug.

Your question:  Should I be placing 7347 on the shaft first, followed by 3E629, then sliding the shaft within the inner tube?  That's what it looks like to me from the diagram.  Foam gasket 3E629 does not go around part 7347.

I actually didn't see part 7347 in my steering column.  I don't know why, I was the first person to disassemble the steering column.  Although, I originally had it apart back in 1996 to clean and repaint when I was building the car.  I don't recall what I did back then.

When you cut the tube did you allow for the free play movement in the inner shaft?

This allows it to slide up into the colume to remove the rag joint.

My guess is that it is too long and your compressing the inner shaft all the way in.

Yes it goes foam then plastic ring.

The way Ford assembled the upper and lower shafts, I don't think their intension was to have the lower half easily slide for easy removal of the rag joint.  To collapse mine I had to use a hammer with quite a bit of force to get it started.  Then, of course, mine was too loose after collapsing and I had to address that.  But in the process and after taking the two halves apart, it appeared to me that Ford assembled them in a manner to hold them in the correct position and only collapse during an accident so the steering wheel doesn't punch you in the face or chest.

I have a couple steering columns at home, so I will double check over the weekend when I get home.

But, my recollection from putting 2 of these together is that the last piece I put in the column housing was the bottom foam insert.   Then I inserted the shaft inside the tube.   The foam pieces are there to keep the shaft sealed so that you don't have cold air blowing up through the steering column.  

There should be 2 7347 pieces that are white plastic that insert inside the outer tube. They fit into notches/holes that are in the outer tube, and act as "bushings".  

None of this should cause your steering to "bind".   There is a ball bearing at the top of the column, under the directional signal switch, that is often worn out and binds.  I always replace these when rebuilding a steering column.  They are still available from Ford.  

Since my last post I found 2 very helpful illustrations:

http://fixingthetruckagain.blogspot.com/

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5213&start=10

As you can see, the inner tube foam doughnut (3E629) goes behind the plastic collar not inside the collar.

Before I found the above 2 illustrations and out of frustration, I took the inner tube foam doughnut (3E629) and cut off some of the OD. Obviously it was too loose (due to my horrible cutting).

However, I was able to place (3E629) inside the plastic collar (7347) within the inner tube, I did apply a little motor oil to the ID of the foam doughnut (3E629) to aid the spinning of the shaft, there was no resistance as I experienced prior to cutting and I feel it better suits me after I trimmed both tubes.

I fully assembled the steering column, but now I hear a small thud as I spin the shaft around. I believe it is in the collapsible steering shaft dropping within each other during rotation.

There are 2 plastic clips attached to the upper section of the 2 piece shaft that fell apart when I pulled the shaft apart (they were dry rotten & cracked).  

They are used to kept the 2 shafts tightly fitted and allow movement for the column to collapse when needed.

I searched the internet and can't find any replacements, I guess I'll have to buy a used column and use just the upper shaft. It should be an easy fix since i just have to take the upper shaft out w/o tearing the whole column a part.

Update: I was able to pull out the lower shaft and spin it 180*, put it back together and the thud was gone. I will leave it as that.

FYI:

The 2 plastic clips on the upper shaft broke off on the same side of each other, so I still had 3/4's of the clip and was still able to get their benefit. 

If the entire clip was removed or completely broken off then there would be side to side movement between the shafts. I would then need to replace the clips if available or use another good upper shaft that the clips were not damaged.

I fully assembled the steering column, but now I hear a small thud as I spin the shaft around. I believe it is in the collapsible steering shaft dropping within each other during rotation.

There are 2 plastic clips attached to the upper section of the 2 piece shaft that fell apart when I pulled the shaft apart (they were dry rotten & cracked).  

They are used to kept the 2 shafts tightly fitted and allow movement for the column to collapse when needed.

I searched the internet and can't find any replacements, I guess I'll have to buy a used column and use just the upper shaft. It should be an easy fix since i just have to take the upper shaft out w/o tearing the whole column a part.

The plastic rings on mine were in great condition.  But your description of the problem after collapsing the shafts is exactly what I experienced.  After you collapse the shafts, only one of the two plastic rings remain positioned to keep the two halves snug.  One of the rings moves into a position to where it no longer does any good.  I spoke to Borgeson about this issue and sent them pictures.  Borgeson's response was "I have never heard of that happening."

If you look closely at the two halves you will notice in their original assembled position the plastic rings line up with small holes in the outer half.  It seems Ford would inject plastic through those small holes in the outer half while holding the two halves in the proper position.  The plastic fills grooves in the inner half and both held the two halves in the correct position and stopped rattling.

What I did was on the inner shaft, using a hammer and center punch, create a series of punch marks on all sides to raise some material slightly.  I then had to use a file and slightly knock down any sharp peaks around the center punch marks.  I applied a thin coat of anti-seize compound to it and put the two halves back together.  I had to use a hammer to tap them together.  Doing this removed all the play within the two halves of the shaft.

I've read posts where people complain of play in the steering wheel after installing a Borgeson power steering box.  More than likely what they are feeling is play within the two halves of the steering column shafts.

When I first encountered this issue, I could find no solution or anybody else that had experienced it.  Not good for you, but I'm glad somebody else finally noticed it.  

I can feel your pain.

On mine just the flat side on each one came off, but the same side fell off. I just put some axle grease in there.

I didn't think of it until you mentioned about the play in the steering wheel. I can imagine the thud I felt would be exacerbated when turning the wheel while the car is in motion, Maybe I will experience play in the steering column or maybe not, but from all this work I think I'm gonna get a donor shaft and stick it in before going through the hassle of making everything look all pretty.

I didn't notice the play until the steering column was reassembled, reinstalled, complete, trim, steering wheel, etc.  Then the first time I moved the steering wheel with the engine off, there it was, play in the steering wheel accompanied by a metallic clank-clank-clank noise.  I had to wait a day or so before I committed to taking it apart again to address the issue.

1969_Mach1-  I believe your are correct on your theory about the injected plastic that forms the 2 plastic collars within the collapsible section of the shaft.

Today I scored a whole 69 column and took it apart, hoping to retrieve it's unblemished upper section of the shaft that holds those 2 plastic clips and to see what guts are in the turn signal housing (my column came with a Grant Steering wheel and I believe some internals are missing).

I found that it was impossible to collapse the shaft as you mention above, the Rag joint section of the shaft has (2) 1/16" holes on each side of the shaft and are filled with the same plastic as the collars. They are there due to design to prevent the shaft form collapsing, they will only do so under extreme force such as a front end collision.  This compromises the integrity of those plastic collars and more than likely they are cracked within the shaft. When you pull the collapsible shaft apart 9 times out of 10 the collars will fall apart.

I see no way around this since you have to cut your Steering column tubes and shorten the length of the shaft by collapsing it for the Borgeson unit.

The Donor shaft had 1 clip cracked but I did not peel it up, I coated that section with wheel bearing grease and slid it back into the column.  After assembling the steering column I did a side by side comparison of the other collapsible shaft and found that after having to collapse the shaft to the length to fit the car (because of the Borgeson Steering box), the 2 plastic clips went pass smaller dia. narrowed middle section of the shaft and was housed in the wider section of the shaft were they would have no effect on the functioning of the collapsible shaft what so ever. So, these clips do not matter in my situation.

For those who have not seen the collapsible steering column shaft, The center section is narrowed where there is the most resistance in the shaft, thus allowing the 2 halves to slide within each other, once the plastic clips pass the narrowed section they have now effect on the tightness of the shaft.

So, getting a donor shaft did not help my cause (trying to have an unblemished clip, not that it matters now) but only educated me.  I haven't experienced it but maybe this why some Borgeson owners complain. Time will only tell.

prayers1,  With mine, after collapsing the shafts, one of the two plastic clips (rings) was still in the narrowed section.  What you are explaining regarding those plastic clips is why I did the series of center punch marks on the inner shaft to obtain a snug fit between the inner and outer shafts.  Might not be an elegant solution but so far it's working just fine.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I had to use a hammer to get the shafts to start collapsing.  By doing so, it sheared off the small plastic ends that were inside the 1/16" diameter holes of the outer shaft.  Fortunately, it did not damage the plastic rings on the inner shaft.

When I was younger and working as a mechanic, we had a liquid Teflon that we painted on using a small brush to the splines of two piece driveshafts.  It was thick and dried hard.  It was to reduce any play in the two piece driveshaft at the splines.  I don't recall its specific name.  I guess if you can find something thick to paint onto the inner shaft it might solve the issue. 

I think I'm gonna leave mine as it is. I feel no thud as I did with the other set up and I think the shaft is much tighter now. IMO the 2 halves are not a matted pair and the wear patterns are different from 48 yrs of use, thus allowing a tighter fit.