Sign in to follow this  
signorc

replacing front seats

Has anyone had any luck replacing your front seats to something more comfortable than the original 1969 ones? If so, I'd love some ideas on which used cars to start looking at do do the swap.  Preferably without too much work.

All the best to the Mustang fans out there!!!

The Pontiac Fiero (1983-1988) is a popular choice. Later model Mustang seats are also used. I'm sure there are other choices that will work, too. Good luck with your search. An old Fiero may be hard to find in Italy,

I grabbed a pair of bucket seats out of a '98 Mustang. Bought new upper and lower foam and seat covers from TMI. I had to remove the old seat mounts and weld them to the 98's. Great classic look. I had the back seat reupholstered to match the pattern of the fronts. Could not be happier. Very comfortable.

post-14323-0-75448600-1488765934.jpg

I put a pair of '88 fox body Mustang seats in a '66 I had a few years ago. Simple to install, I had to drill 2 holes in each seat frame, fit was good and very comfortable. I have a pair from an '88 turbo coupe I'm thinking of installing in my '70. 

Matt

Part of it depends on what you want the look of the car to be. If you are going to hot rod or modernize the car then I would look for modern seats from cars you have locally and pick something that is comfortable and sized correctly to the car.

If you want to maintain an original look, there are seat covers and foam kits that will fit the original seat frames, have a mostly original look but have some modern countours added.

I did that with my 69 conv and they look great and are more comfortable than stock. The negative is that they don't work well with the original console. Sure wish they had told me that

Bob

Guys

Take note that it appears that he is located in Italy.

I'm going to suggest that you use Ferrari seats from the local pick-and-pull wrecking yard.....

Those should be full of old wrecked Ferrari....right??

Bob

Scat ProCar seats seem to be a popular choice at shows. I have a set and they are great. Kind of a period look with modern comfort. I just don't like the look of the modern Sparco type of race car seat in a vintage interior. Gutted interiors with roll cages, etc, they look great, but if you are combining racing style seats with plush interiors with ashtrays and such, it's like wearing a black tuxedo with brown shoes.

scat_zpserqluhxo.jpg