Shep69

Gloss Black Hood

It wasn't intended to be a blanket statement and the ops comments suggested that he had a Mach 1, and in my extensive experience, a modified Mach 1 will have fewer buyers than a stock one . Also, it seems to me that if you aren't going to get into a pissing match about this then there was no point in you making this post . My comments are based on years of first hand experience dealing with many, many people and are based on what that first hand experience is.

The fact is that a box stock car will typically sell more easily and quickly than a modified one . Another fact is that modifications are a personal preference and the custom paint scheme or custom wheels or custom interior one person likes may not be what another person likes whom is looking for a modified car which in itself narrows down the amount of potential buyers for a particular customized car.

Some people that like modified cars hate the look of the Eleanor . I don't like the Eleanor look, and in fact, I supplied the people whom built the Eleanors for the movie with 5 fastbacks which they built into Eleanors for it and they offered to give me an Eleanor kit for FREE which was before the movie came out and I said no thanks.

Sorry can't help myself.  I agree with both of you.  Barnett did say if you were doing a stock car the correct paint would sell better, I'd have to agree.  But, I think it to be true, if it's not a restoration or stock then it won't matter.  I also agree that a modified 69 will probably be worth more then a stock one.  However, how many cents on the dollar will it raise the price versus the cost? Does 15k in mods equate 7.5k more in value? I also agree a stock would be much easier to sell.  It's also easier to come up with 15k for a driver vs 40k for a heavily modified mustang.  Even a dunce like me can take a hour on google and figure out what I am looking at on a stock car.  With that said, I like them modified better and that's what I am doing mine.  So, in my unofficial opinion, the pissing match is a tie.

MikeStang I love that green.  I am pondering a darker green on mine at some point.  

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have decided to go original style Hood blackout. Any one used the stencil available?

I dealt with the same issues as you. I decided to do a semi-flat. However, because it doesn't have a clear or anything on top it really is a pain to take care of and it also shows the imperfections from driving more easily. If I were to do it again I would use the Mercedes paint (there is a thread about it on here someplace) that looks pretty original without the pitfalls of the flat black. Another option is to do a flat or semi flat clear over it. Many have done that with good success.

I found my stencil on ebay! But that is also floating in a thread on here someplace.

Sherwin Williams Mercedes flat black Ultra 1, U12739

Check out this link. Everything you ever wanted to know about hood painting. I printed it out for easier reading and reference. It's an August '98 article from Mustang Monthly. Page 3 starts the '69 era. At the very bottom they reference the Mercedes paint.

http://photos.mustangsbymike.com/Mach-1-Hood

The cedes paint looks slightly shinier which is what I would prefer.

Ha, to me a minute to get the cedes, but I'm a bit slow. And I agree, is good stuff.