Sign in to follow this  
Sean D

351C C6 to AOD Swap

Hello everyone,

I have a 69 Mustang with a stock 70 351C and C6 transmission. I think the C6 is on its last leg and am considering a AOD swap, or spend ~$1000 on c6 rebuild (beefed up for future rebuild). In the future I am thinking 351W stroker 408 with about ~500 hp so the transmission would need to handle the hp. Or just build the cleveland to ~500 hp, but can decide later as that is a few years away. I see a lot of articles online and in this forum about converting c4 or FMX transmissions to AOD and that there are parts and conversion kits available for such. Also most of these conversion kits are for 289, 302 and 351W. But I cannot find much information or conversion kits for my 70' 351C and C6 to AOD (with 4r70w internals for longevity and increased hp capacity). Can you all knowing owners please point me to some information or list of parts needed for this type of swap. Can I use the 351w parts? What about the yoke and drive shaft? 

Thank you,

Sean

The 351 Cleveland has the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so the small block parts should work the same. I just did this on my '70 with a 302. I'm not sure what flexplate the Cleveland uses, but you will need a 164 tooth flexplate, aod spacer plate, cross member and shifter linkage. You will also probably have to get your driveshaft shortened.

The 351 Cleveland has the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so the small block parts should work the same. I just did this on my '70 with a 302. I'm not sure what flexplate the Cleveland uses, but you will need a 164 tooth flexplate, aod spacer plate, cross member and shifter linkage. You will also probably have to get your driveshaft shortened.

Since the C6 is longer than the C4, FMX and AOD, wouldn't it require a longer drive shaft since I will be replacing the C6, which has a shorter drive shaft right?