Jimjific

My Nightmare of Nightmares

I haven't posted here in quite a while and I wish it was for better reasons. Well, the worst thing that could ever happen, happened to me last Sunday. My garage had an electrical fire and I lost every tool I had. I also lost my 69 Mustang Fastback and 87 Honda Magna. I ran into the garage to save the Mustang and got it out but because of other vehicles in the driveway, I couldn't get it far enough away. By the time I started moving the other cars, the Mustang was in flames. I had posted in the past a lot of the custom modifications I have done to this car including rack and pinion steering, strut rods and monte carlo bar. To say that I am down is an understatement.

gallery_14784_100_53647.jpeg

gallery_14784_100_592719.jpg

gallery_14784_100_1577709.jpg

Jim

That is horrible news Jimjific.  I hope everyone is safe and sound.  I also hope the insurance companies treat you well.  I'm sure a few members, myself included, are going to be having nightmares over the next few weeks.  I hope you're able to get things back or replaced if possible. My Condolences. 

Hello JIm.

These must be hard times for you in many many ways.

I can't imagine your pain and suffering

I wish I had some "great" words of wisdom to offer but

​I can say only two things

1. - There are many people that feel for your situation

2. - That that does not kill us makes us stronger

It may be impossible to think about a resurrection right now

but you and your car deserve to be united an whole

I am certain we all send our deepest regrets and hope that in  time

​you will find will and strength to make your vehicles better than ever

Sorry for the hardship

Print Dad - -Sam

How gut-wrenching! Man, I'm so sorry for you. Truly sad to see the pictures.

I hope it was a detached garage so that your house wasn't damaged as well. Thank god no one was hurt.

Thanks everyone. The sting is lessening over time but every once in a while I think of something else that was in there that I lost and it all comes back. I got really tired of hearing that night from others that it is just "stuff" and it can be replaced. Well, some of that "stuff" were items like the tool box that my now passed mother gave me, the antique tap and die set I had that came in a wood box or the battery charger I still had from when I was a kid. And let's not forget all the hand tools that I have busted knuckles with for over 20 or 30 years. I know most on this site get it, since we work on our cars. It is good to be part of the Brotherhood of the Garage.

I will keep updating as I go through the insurance process.

Thanks again,

Jim

I feel your pain.  Mine was not as bad, but I was in it when it started burning, one of the worst 10 minutes of my life.  Now that I have it back, I still freak out about it when I see pictures like yours.  A few days ago mine started smoking and I jumped out of the car almost before it quit rolling (turned out to be just some ATF getting into the exhaust).  I have nothing to help but hope my "after" pictures give you something to look forward to.

Before, after, and after restore

burning

shake-er-bake

she's home

Oh no. I have fears about this too. Not only about my cars but my shed is what puts food on our table. I've already had to reno our house after flood water passed through one side but a fire like that is not as kind.

As I learned, you'll rebuild. You'll have people stopping by who you do not know asking if they can lend a hand. It's a long task ahead but I can say I learned and gained a great deal from my experience.

Dammit, that just plain flat out sucks. I hope the metal in the roof structure is ok, will make it a bit easier to restore. I had to replace all the sheetmetal  in front of the firewall after my crash. Almost 5 years  ago now, so It will take time. I know you are down now, but don't waste to much time before you start the rebuild. Of  course, you need your garage rebuilt too, but have fun with it, plan the build, start bench racing and build a vision for your Mustang project.