copb8

Flattening a Bowed Hood

The hood on my car is slightly bowed above the driver side fender. It sits up about a 1/8 - 1/4" above the fender line. It seems to be centered around where the new hood bumper was installed in that area prior to my purchase.

I've removed the hood bumper for now but need to know what's a safe way to 'flatten out' the hood without risking creasing it or damaging the paint?

I've solved similar hood warp problems by putting a towel on the hood to prevent scratches, then adding weight, such as cinder blocks or barbell weights in the area that needed to go down.  You may need to use some wood to prop the hood up if the hood bottoms out before it can be bent.

I've solved similar hood warp problems by putting a towel on the hood to prevent scratches, then adding weight, such as cinder blocks or barbell weights in the area that needed to go down.  You may need to use some wood to prop the hood up if the hood bottoms out before it can be bent.

Thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking about doing but didn't want to do something dumb before asking.

HOOD BOW

your hood does not fit flush with the cowl either so it has an S shaped bow. . it might have flown open while driving before.

hopefully ridge runner sees this and has an idea for you as well . i have actually done this countless times and just did it on my 428 cobra jet hood . there is always always a risk that the paint might get damaged and/or it might get bent so the curve is not perfectly smooth etc.

you can put a piece of tape on both ends of the hood where it is flush to the fender then one in the center of the bow so you know where the problem is.

raise the hood stop around 3/8" then close the hood . it does not need to latch.

simply push down on the edge of the hood in the center of the bow with a quick forceful push.

lower the hood stop and check the fit.

if it did not move it may require an additional person pushing down.

it is possible that it won't all come out and you may need to put shims under the fender . 3/16" is the thickest i would use.

you can also take a 6" - 10" long piece of 2x4 then put a soft towel on the edge of the hood then place the 2x4 on if so t is standing up then start at the beginning of the bad area and whack it lightly with a 3 lb hammer . then move the 2x4 over 2"-3" and whack it again . you will need to increase yhe force a little each time the closer you get to the center of the bow . i have used this method countless times and have never damaged the paint but you can make the edge slightly wavy by doing this.

NO WARRANTEES OR GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

SHAKER AIR CLEANER

I now have to qualify some of my statements by first saying that I am NOT picking on your car, because some overly sensitive person sniveled the other day thinking I was picking on someones car even though I was clearly referring to their cam only and NOT their car.

Anyway, in case you didn't know it, your shaker sits too high . If it is a fiberglass base and you want it to sit lower, I can tell you how to lower it some if you want.

HOOD STRIPE

It should be textured and have a nearly flat/dull finish, not a shiny one . I can tell you one of the paints to use if you want to change it.

Barnett, all observations and suggestions are welcome. 

I'll start experimenting with the hood bow.

Regarding the shaker, I'll need to see how it can be lowered. It bolts directly to the air cleaner base which sits directly on the top of the carb. Would part of the issue be the aftermarket carburetor?

The hood stripes are vinyl, not painted. Even at that they're not well done and have some air bubbles. Definitely will be on my list to get redone at some point.

need photos of the shaker and carb and intake

i think an edelbrock is slightly taller than a holley and quick fuel.

there are two shaker bases a short one for boss 302 and 428 and a tall one for other engines.

as i mentioned, we also need to know if it is fiberglass.

Leave it as is!  Doesn't look bad and you might be opening a can of worms.  You'll likely make it worse in other areas trying to fix that.  If you try to straighten it you will open it up for bodywork and a repaint on the hood.  If anything, make some adjustments to try to improve it.

need photos of the shaker and carb and intake

i think an edelbrock is slightly taller than a holley and quick fuel.

there are two shaker bases a short one for boss 302 and 428 and a tall one for other engines.

as i mentioned, we also need to know if it is fiberglass.

It's a Holley carb with a metal air cleaner base.

It is possible it isn't a bowed hood ,but a fender a little flat .The aprons may have been pushed down a bit while the fenders were off .You can bend the shelf the fender sits on up and it would take care of the alignment issues ,or shim the low spot on the fender .Shelby used shims on the fender to get the proper alignment between the hood and fender top but i usually bend the mounting shelf and never need the shims .

The hoods do bend easily on a 69 and 70 so a block of wood under the front and push down gently on the outer edge of the hood where it is high and it will bow that much very easily ...Br careful though .

"I now have to qualify some of my statements by first saying that I am NOT picking on your car, because some overly sensitive person sniveled the other day thinking I was picking on someones car even though I was clearly referring to their cam only and NOT their car."

Probably not a good idea to imply one of our members as "overly sensitive" and a sniveler.

Connie demonstrates the proper technique for adjusting the hood on her 1969 Shelby:

b6e3802e169347f0d1e0fd28eb103971.jpg

On a serious note, you may want to try adjusting the fender profile before bending the hood. I used shims but Ridge's suggestion for bending the apron sounds plausible, too.

Connie demonstrates the proper technique for adjusting the hood on her 1969 Shelby:

On a serious note, you may want to try adjusting the fender profile before bending the hood. I used shims but Ridge's suggestion for bending the apron sounds plausible, too.

Are you trying to give us old dudes a heart attack ? I am cool with it though .

If you can find a piece of card board long enough to set beside the hood on the side that fits and trace the edge ,check the bowed side with the tracing and see if it is close to the same ,if it is it is probably just the fender a little to flat and you can then either shim it or bend up the apron shelf .

"I now have to qualify some of my statements by first saying that I am NOT picking on your car, because some overly sensitive person sniveled the other day thinking I was picking on someones car even though I was clearly referring to their cam only and NOT their car."

Probably not a good idea to imply one of our members as "overly sensitive" and a sniveler.

ummm...its actually probably not good for another member to make assumptions about what another member thought about a comment and then make comments on that members behalf, but thanks for "policing" the site and for your useful suggestions on how to straighten a hood . I'm sure they will be very helpful to the op.

How do you go about bending the apron? From inside the wheel well? Do you have to pull the fender (I hope not)?

Here are some pics:

1. Carb and air cleaner  

2. Hood joint to cowl. Actually is quite flush 

post-46509-0-98725100-1488254691.jpg

post-46509-0-45213800-1488254707.jpg

Carb is a Holley Avenger 670CFM.

I haven't worked out what the manifold is yet but I see an invoice that says there's a 1/2" Moroso spacer installed.

ok, well removing the spacer will obviously lower the shaker, however, it may reduce performance slightly also.

Definitely looks like she's waiting for some kind of "male" assistance. Just saying...

More serious, your hood might not sit perfectly but it is far from being that bad.

Have you tried to shim the fender a little to see how that works?

G