Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a pic of an electric vacuum pump setup on a big block.  Right now I'm running 6 psi at idle.   I have the FE 390 stroked to 445 with 11-1 compression.  The power disc brakes need more vacuum to get to work properly.  Thanks Mark 

Have you tried a vacuum canister? I bought an electric pump and had trouble with the switch working properly. I then tried a canister, which is by far the cheaper solution, and it works well for me. I'm sure I have that brand new pump in a box somewhere in the shop if you do decide to go that route.

As I recall, a canister connects to a vacuum source and stores vacuum that the engine makes. A line from the canister to where the extra vacuum is needed supplies the vacuum as needed. Nothing but a hollow ball or can. A pump actually produces vacuum via an electric motor driven pump and supplies vacuum to the system.  Dave R.

You first should set your ignition timing curve so it is optimal for your engine . If the timing is lower than optimal at idle it will have lower vacuum than it could.

I have only seen vacuum as low as yours on engines that had a problem or on racing engines, not street engines.

A vacuum can is merely a can/reservoir that holds additional vacuum so the brakes work a little longer, like for another 2 or 3 quick pushes in slow traffic before all the vacuum is gone and the pedal becomes hard to depress .  A vacuum pump is a pump that sucks which simulates engine vacuum thereby improving brake function, however, there are about 50 different vacuum pumps and some suck more/better than others . If you can not increase your vacuum on its own you very well made need a pump AND an auxiliary vacuum can.

Vacuum can

P4100001.jpg

One of a few different styles of vacuum pumps.

640_vacuumPump.jpg

I have to say I really disliked the vacuum pump just because of the noise. It just didn't seem right to have that electric pump running buzz coming from the engine bay

Apparently your exhaust system is too quiet :)

Bahaha, that was a crack up, RPM!

I doubt I will have that issue, even with having an electric vacuum pump, water pump, fuel pump and power steering. All kinds of buzzing going on.

Nope. Nothing quiet about it, 408w, AFR205's and Flowmasters. It's pretty loud actually but you could still hear the pump come on and off sitting in the drivers seat at idle. I found with my setup the canister works better for me.