Sign in to follow this  
Caseyrhe

Lower Dash AC Vents

I don't know if this ideal has been posted before, but this is what I came up with and it worked like a charm.

When reassembling my Mach from the previous owners magnitutude of boxes, the vents where missing the felt that keep the directional balls from moving freely. Not having any luck finding replacement felt, I came up with this. Purchased some Velcro, only using the felt side, cut to outside diameter of ball and dry fitted in vent with adhesive backing still on. After marking and cutting to the exact length, removed backing making the seam at the top. I then installed the vent ball. Felt keeps the vent ball in place

post-45407-0-60157900-1487642284.jpg

post-45407-0-03641600-1487642304.jpg

post-45407-0-83246800-1487642318.jpg

post-45407-0-65639600-1487642332.jpg

post-45407-0-62737200-1487642343.jpg

What  a great idea.  My vents have not moved in years. Not that I will probably ever need to move them, but just in case i want cold air blowing on my butt instead of my face, I would at least have that option.  I know some people need to cool off the butts, so for them it works better. 

I Used some stick on Foam like goes between a camper shell and the truck bed hahah...

I think it came with some other part I bought and never used it on so I used it for vents haha..

Velcro sounds like an even better idea tho because it wont ever break down like the foam might

Perfect! My OEM felt finally gave up the ghost. Funny though, I was using the same Velcro stuff this weekend to dampen a vibration I had with my plastic package try.

I've seen new cars that use that Velcro to remove any noise from plastic panels within the interior.

david

I Used some stick on Foam like goes between a camper shell and the truck bed hahah...I think it came with some other part I bought and never used it on so I used it for vents haha..Velcro sounds like an even better idea tho because it wont ever break down like the foam might

Sheesh, using camper shell parts on a classic Mustang. Well, you are from The Bayou Mike.

I went to Joanns Fabric store and bought a piece of black felt square for $0.99. Worked the same....

You can also rotate the ball 180 degrees if the chrome is better on the back side of the ball than the front. That is how mine were.

Another thing I learned on this forum is if drilling out the rivets, the pot metal is soft enough that tiny sheet metal screws can be used to hold the two shells together.

Perfect! My OEM felt finally gave up the ghost. Funny though, I was using the same Velcro stuff this weekend to dampen a vibration I had with my plastic package try.

I found Blu-tac worked well