braetz

Another "What's It Worth" Thread

Hey all, first post here. Long time fan of mustangs, especially '69-70' mustangs. I have a '68 coupe in the garage, but have always wanted a '69-'70 ever since I helped out in a local shop in high school that restored only rare, and valuable '69 and '70s. (Shelby, Boss, Mach 1 SCJ, etc.)

Long story short...

Stumbled across a 1970 Sportsroof 302 2v, A/T 3 miles from my house. It's a bare bones car, with manual steering, front drum brakes, and no A/C. (All of which can be changed obviously, but currently hurts it's value) It's been sitting in the barn since 1988. It is a 1 owner car, bought new in 1970 from the local ford dealership. Clean title in hand. The owner bought a new Ford Ranger in 1988, backed the mustang in the barn, and never drove it again. The car is rusty unfortunately.  The 18 years it spent on the road were mostly on winter, salty, Indiana roads. lol.

It for sure needs:

2- Quarter Panels

2- Fenders

Full Floorpan

Front Bumper

Full Interior

Driver's Door

A couple of areas on the frame will need repaired as well. 

I've included pictures of some of the worst areas. 

My biggest question is: Is it worth it, or should I spend the extra 3 or 4k on a cleaner car? Tools, and garage space aren't an issue, as I have mig and tig welders, plasma cutter, cutting torch, grinders, etc. 

He is asking $4k. I was thinking it would be more enticing if it was closer to the $2500 range. I've got a gut feeling that this is probably nothing more than a parts car in it's current condition.

Thoughts?? 

post-50473-0-53653700-1487290886.jpg

post-50473-0-85043300-1487290896.jpg

post-50473-0-45978700-1487290891.jpg

post-50473-0-96353000-1487290864.jpg

post-50473-0-04546600-1487290872.jpg

post-50473-0-52694200-1487290881.jpg

Ouch! As "they" say, is always best to start with the best car you can afford. I've seen worse cars repaired, but would keep looking. I'd have a hard time playing $2,500 for it. Might not say that in a few years though.

Welcome to the forum braetz.

I'd pass on, maybe in a politically correct way, show and tell the owner what all needs to be done/replaced and how much it would cost...see where it goes from there. Also leave your contact info so when he can't sell it, he might call you asking ," what will you give for it" re-evaluate it based on parting it out

As tempting as it may be to pick up something now at a low initial cost so you can get started building your dream Mustang, my best advice is that you need to pass on this one and just walk away.  Although I'm sure it would be awesome when you finished restoring it, the cost, the work, the time and the frustration level just isn't going to be worth it on that particular car.  You'll have more into the car than it will ever be worth.  Best classic car restoration advice I ever got was "Start with the best car you can afford.".   

Question:  How do you make a small fortune building and restoring classic muscle cars?

Answer:  Start with a large fortune.