GAPONY

New member, thoughts on this car?

I picked up this "69 Grande on a whim. The family I got it from bought it in 1970, and parked it in 1983 with 57K on the clock. Just put it out to pasture, literally...They painted it not long before that. Original color is Silver Jade metallic(black interior). Has a 302-2V,C4,PS,PDB and AC. Also has the dash clock. For the amount of time it was neglected it's pretty solid in many places. Rear rails, truck floors are nice. Most of the floors look great, and the rockers. Torque boxes are toast, and where the battery sits. Will need some outer bodywork also. Bottoms of fenders,doors and quarters in front/back of the wheels. The car is super straight though, never hit or taken apart! I have it listed on CL, was thinking of finding a cleaner one. Curious what others thing of my potential Pony?! Here's a few pics.

post-50420-0-49648200-1487215744.jpg

post-50420-0-71878800-1487215759.jpg

post-50420-0-28928700-1487215872.jpg

post-50420-0-45207800-1487215891.jpg

post-50420-0-49945400-1487215911.jpg

post-50420-0-68149900-1487215940.jpg

Welcome to the forum GAPONY! I'd hang on to it until you find another that fits your wishes. Lots of good parts on it, before I sold it for "$500" I'd part it out. But it's a complete car worth rebuilding and I wouldn't part it out. That is unless you want to sell me the bumpers :)

What i am seeing in the pics is a lot of undercoat peeling .take a scraper or screwdriver and probe around and see if it goes through .scrape some of the undercoat off it will .Lift the carpet and look at the floors .I think it may be a  cleaner than you think and i would give you a 1000 for it ...if it where in Cali. :)

What i am seeing in the pics is a lot of undercoat peeling .take a scraper or screwdriver and probe around and see if it goes through .scrape some of the undercoat off it will .Lift the carpet and look at the floors .I think it may be a  cleaner than you think and i would give you a 1000 for it ...if it where in Cali. :)

Floors are rock solid wherever I scraped the undercoating.

The coupe I bought for 500, in worse shape...rust bucket. Have profited 1100 in parts sold and saved

a lot of cash by not having to buy screws/bolts/brackets rebuilding my Mach. Still have lots of parts

I'm keeping, including the tilt wheel, fenders, clock/instru clusters, and doors.

As one mentioned to me when I posted the question to part out or not, "Once they're gone, they're gone".

That car looks better than is is being made out to be.

Pull the carpet and do an actual inspection on the floor

Do not get rid of that car or part it out yet. It is a great parts car if nothing else and I would get myself into another car first and if it happens to be another 69 then you will be thankful to have another car for spares

Bob

If it weren't for the quarters that car looks sound, at least from the pics.  The driver's side torque box probably looks terrible but that is normal for a 69.  Battery trays rust out on all of them.  I've seen ten year old cars with rusted out battery trays.

david

I would hate to see that car parted out, but a Grande does not demand a grand price.  If the car was in perfect every day driver condition, I would think it would be worth between $12,000 and $16,000.   Subtract from this the cost to get it to that point, maybe $10,000?  

I am surprised, I would think in California the car would be worth more than other states, not less.  You do not need to worry about emissions and other requirements because old cars are "grandfathered" in. 

In Minnesota, I would think a reasonable price would be between $4000 and $5000.  

I would hate to see that car parted out, but a Grande does not demand a grand price.  If the car was in perfect every day driver condition, I would think it would be worth between $12,000 and $16,000.   Subtract from this the cost to get it to that point, maybe $10,000?  

I am surprised, I would think in California the car would be worth more than other states, not less.  You do not need to worry about emissions and other requirements because old cars are "grandfathered" in. 

In Minnesota, I would think a reasonable price would be between $4000 and $5000.  

The car would be worth less in CA because there are so many corrosion free examples to choose from out there. This car, other than never being hit, isn't even particularly clean for Georgia, where it appears to reside. The car is cool in a way, but it has some knocks against it:

1. It needs a fair amount of rust repair, surprising for a southern car

2. It would cost more to restore properly than it would be worth. That decision is a personal one.

3. Many if not most 69 Grande's were 351 equipped, from what I have seen.

4. You could probably get a cleaner starting point for not a lot more money.

In my heart I would love to see this restored. In my head I am glad it won't be me doing it.

Be careful, like C. aseyrhe stated, once the're gone, the're gone. That radio for instance is very rare. They sell for $500 to $600. Only made 2 years, 69 & 70. The other years are different but do look basically the same.

From a lack of original door panel speakers it looks like an AM radio. Does it work?

The car looks pretty solid and has some nice options, power disk brakes, and better interior features.  I think what might hold the back the value is it's a coupe.  I know a Grande, but still a coupe.  If you like coupes, it would be worth holding on to it unless you need the money to use towards something else. 

I have a couple of those radios . I will be happy to sell you one for less than that.

I may need one Barnett. I have one out of a 75 Ford and after I get my interrior back together and all hooked up if it doesn't work I'll give you a shout out. It bench tested about a year ago so I am hoping.

My opinion....  A very complete nicely optioned coupe.  So its not a fastback, but it is a grande. It's worth restoring, do not part it out.  

X2. Just because it is not a Fastback or a Vert is no reason to not restore it, it is still a Mustang.  I am in the middle of restoring a 69 Coupe.

54065-1-15-17-how-looks-today.jpg