moodster

15x10 Magnum 500s

A bit late, I know, but yes I have just put this setup on my car.

Wheel Vintiques 15x10s with 5.5" backspace. According to CJ Pony, I bought their last 2 wheels and they are now out of production.

Sumitomo HTR 2000 295/50/R15 tyres. These have a 12mm (0.5 inch) narrower section width (sidewall-to-sidewall) than the same size BF Goodrich TAs and I prefer the tread pattern over the TAs.

I am running aftermarket 1" lower leaf springs from Eaton Detroit Springs. The quarter panel lips have been rolled slightly as a precaution but it's not necessary for me (the rear of the car sits high enough and I don't carry back seat passengers over bumpy roads).

Internally I have 35mm clearance between the leaf spring and the tyre. And yes, that's how you spell "tyre" ;-)

Externally, the sidewall lines up exactly with the wheel arch lip.

All said and done, perhaps 6" backspace would have been better and given me more clearance between the rubber and the quarter panel. And you can always reduce 6" backspace to 5.75" by adding a 0.25" spacer (if you dare).

Pictures attached...

IMG_6820_zpsnwsaosik.jpg

IMG_6827_zpsxqevbr3t.jpg

IMG_6826_zpsbch9v09w.jpg

IMG_6828_zpsfczprihq.jpg

I ended up installing the same wheels about two years ago but went with a different tire.  I love them - they are the exactly what I wanted.  I had to roll my quarter panels but my car sits about two inches lower than yours.  If I hit a hard bump then it will rub the lip but that is rare.  I'll see if I can get a pic this weekend and post it.

Nice ride 

2 hours ago, bartzzimpson said:

Ah, maybe late for moodster :) but it's always good info. That's a heck of a nice looking 69 bart, care to give us some history on it?

2 hours ago, bartzzimpson said:

Wheel Vintiques 15x10s with 5.5" backspace. According to CJ Pony, I bought their last 2 wheels and they are now out of production.

Sumitomo HTR 2000 295/50/R15 tyres. These have a 12mm (0.5 inch) narrower section width (sidewall-to-sidewall) than the same size BF Goodrich TAs and I prefer the tread pattern over the TAs.

I am running aftermarket 1" lower leaf springs from Eaton Detroit Springs. The quarter panel lips have been rolled slightly as a precaution but it's not necessary for me (the rear of the car sits high enough and I don't carry back seat passengers over bumpy roads).

Internally I have 35mm clearance between the leaf spring and the tyre. And yes, that's how you spell "tyre" ;-)

Externally, the sidewall lines up exactly with the wheel arch lip.

All said and done, perhaps 6" backspace would have been better and given me more clearance between the rubber and the quarter panel. And you can always reduce 6" backspace to 5.75" by adding a 0.25" spacer (if you dare).

Pictures attached...

IMG_6820_zpsnwsaosik.jpg

IMG_6827_zpsxqevbr3t.jpg

IMG_6826_zpsbch9v09w.jpg

IMG_6828_zpsfczprihq.jpg

Regardless of the spelling of tire.  What does this 35mm deal represent?

And can I live in your garage.

The 35mm deal (aka 1 3/8") represents the gap before the tyre rubs against the leaf spring, as shown in the last photo.
And no, you can't live in my garage 'cause that's where I Iive!

As for some history on the car, I bought it from a preacher in Florida in 2011 and it spent 10 weeks on a ship coming to Brisbane Australia.
She turns 50 next month, having rolled off the NJ production line 4-June-1969.

So is that how you bought the car, with the gold stripes, or have you restored your car? Love the 4 post by the way, something i need to invest in, lying on my back under the car is really getting old now, and so am I. :-(