Drive fast

Rag joint question

Installed my steering column and there is a gap between the end of the column and the rag joint. If I connect the 2 together, it looks like the rag joint is not on the steering box well enough. Any thoughts for fitting? Move the C clips on the opposite end of the column?

Anyone have a photo of theirs?

post-47232-0-48576700-1486019937.jpeg

post-47232-0-27814100-1486019962.jpeg

If this is a 69 column, you have a collapsible column and the bottom of the shaft will move.  Simply pull it down enough to engage the rag joint properly and you are good to go. 

Get the bolt in the yoke on the steering box so that it is engaged properly and pull the shaft down to meet it.

They sometimes take a bit of persuasion to get them to move but it will.

From the pix the shaft is not collapsed because the rub mark on the shaft line's up with the end.  It shows the column was not centered.  The firewall plate is adjustable to center the column

Your problem is the mounting for the column is slotted a the upper clamp  and there is a clamp at the fire wall plate.  Loosen  the column upper bolts and fire wall plate and slide the column down.

If the inner collapsible shaft slides the pins are broken and a future source of play and or knocking/rattle.

Larry

It is not assembled right.  It doesn't look like the shaft collapsed.  They collapse, but not easily.  So it probably does not need to be repositioned. 

Loosen the four nuts holding the upper steering column clamp to the steering column and loosen the clamp holding the column to the firewall bracket at the bottom.  The steering column will move up or down about 1-1/2 inches.  Then you can move the clamp back to the original location where it attaches to the dash.  You might have to loosen everything to move the column.  But the column is simply not located in the upper and lower clamp correctly.

Also, on the upper clamp, you see those two aluminum pieces with slots on each side that the two bolts go into attaching to the dash pass through?  Well, you need two more of those same aluminum pieces as spacers to go between the dash and the clamp.  They will lower the column a little at the top.  Without them, the column lower plastic trim panel will not fit correctly.  If they are missing just make a spacer that is close to the same thickness.

Lastly, on the bottom, try to adjust the lower mount at the firewall to center the shaft in the tube.

Now it looks much better.

Yeah those extra aluminum spacers make the lower trim fit correctly.  But sometimes if you are tall the stock diameter steering wheel ends up too low.  I had to swap out my original aluminum spacers for thinner pieces.  Not much thinner, 3/16" thick vs. the original 5/16" thick.  The lower trim still fits, but not as good as original.  Now I can get in and out of the car easier.