Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

TCP front suspension issue

I purchased the Total Control Product front coil over suspension kit.  I've watch the 2 youtube videos a couple times each and have gone over the instructions with a fine tooth comb. 

The issue i have is the strut rod they supplied is pushing my lower control arm too far back toward the rear.  Ive tried pulling my camber all the way forward and maxed out the strut rod to the minimum length and still does not line up the lower control arm.  I cannot even get the verishock to go inside the aluminum mount.

Ive measured everything out, check and double checked part numbers and everything seems to be correct.

TCP right now is kind of shrugging their shoulders as they don't have an answer for me.

All the metal on this car is factory original

post-13042-0-54154000-1485556571.jpg

post-13042-0-95370200-1485556575.jpg

post-13042-0-24394000-1485556580.jpg

post-13042-0-36791400-1485556598.jpg

post-13042-0-22493700-1485556606.jpg

post-13042-0-57413000-1485556611.jpg

post-13042-0-01392300-1485556632.jpg

post-13042-0-09573600-1485556639.jpg

Have you verified that the top shock mounting plates are on the correct sides? They are angeled, should be marked L and R, but it's hard to see because of the powdercoating.

Edit: Also, the lower shock mount (the billet piece) is directional. It has an arrow under it pointing to the front of the car when installed.

All I know is that if your last pic measurement of 23" is from the front mount face of the strut rod you're dead nuts on. My lca is 90° to the frame and my measurement is also 23".

Have you measured the strut rod and confirmed it with TCP?

RPM

Yes it is from the strut face, but the LCA is not square/center with the mount location as you can see in the photos.  I am at a loss since this frame work metal is all factory original.

I do wish i had some OEM spec measurements to work off to verify all factory mounts are correct.

The strut rod is measureing almost 20" in lenght (verified correct with TCP)

Lower control arm is 15 3/4" from center of eyelet mount to ball joint ( verified by TCP)

makes me wonder if the factory installed my strut rod mounts wrong???

I have not brought this up to TCP yet, but cut off 1/4" of the strut rod off on a band saw to gain the needed space.

makes me wonder if the factory installed my strut rod mounts wrong???

I have not brought this up to TCP yet, but cut off 1/4" of the strut rod off on a band saw to gain the needed space.

You can drop a plumb line onto the floor from a few spots on the chassis and check to see if it's symmetrical.

I would only modify the suspension parts as a last resort. And I would want both sides equal.

So TCP is at a complete loss of why this is happening on my car. 

They are calling up a guy who has installed a lot of these systems and ask his advice on it. 

Does anyone have the dimensions of the lower control arm/engine mount should be located on the frame and the specs for the stutrod frame suppose to mount.  I want to measure these out and make sure mine are not off from factory spec.

thank you

Ryan

Those dimensions may be out there, but I've never come across them. For reference, my car hasn't had front end damage and these are my measurements.

From the inside/rear edge of the lower radiator support to the rear center of the lower edge of the strut rod mounting plate hole is 8" both sides, and 90° out to the outer frame rail lip is 7-1/2" both sides.

These cars are famous for not being symmetrical side to side, or with other cars.

post-5441-0-55948100-1485999732.jpg