copb8

Rattle Reduction Questions

I have HUGE rattles in the front end of my '70 Mach 1. They are killing the fun for me so I have to get them fixed before the love is lost.

Today I found what might be accounting for 50% of the noise and I'm hoping you guys can tell me the right way to fix it. I'm getting serious rattles between the outer skin and inner skin/structure of the hood, especially around the shaker hood opening. I started taking weather stripping and stuffing it between the gaps. This really quietened it down but isn't exactly pretty or period correct.

First question is whether there's something wrong with the hood that this happens? Second question is what's a good way to fix the problem that will look decent and last?

I think the other 50% of my rattles has something to do with the suspension, springs, and maybe perches as it quiets way down when I'm on the brakes and hitting bumps.

Well it's good to know that factory didn't spot weld the panels and they just let go. The 3M sealer is just a general purpose sealer, not automotive or heat resistant?

I'll also look online for automotive adhesive and foam. Never seen that before.

Your shaker/hood might have been incorrectly installed at one point breaking the skin away from the inner frame.  I looked at a Mach once where the shaker had slightly tented the hood in the center because it didn't fit correctly.  It was a shame because the car had a nice paint job otherwise.  

david

Well it's good to know that factory didn't spot weld the panels and they just let go. The 3M sealer is just a general purpose sealer, not automotive or heat resistant?

I'll also look online for automotive adhesive and foam. Never seen that before.

Seam sealer is what the factory used to bond the panels together ,it is very tough once set ,although i have seen a type of foam sealer used also .

Also, the hood is painted and it wouldn't be possible to get into the very small gaps to get the paint removed down to sheet metal. Do you think that'll be ok?

I suggest you go to the hardware store and get some VULKEM.  It will be just fine your application.  A couple pictures of my OE shaker hood.  Ford assembly line application of calk was minimal, not everywhere and not in every nook and cranny.  Is it possible your rattle noises have another source ?  Keep looking you'll get there.Brian

post-33155-0-90062200-1485722844.jpg

post-33155-0-14725700-1485722861.jpg

post-33155-0-48545000-1485722871.jpg

As i said the 3M seam sealer will do the job ,the factory just used dabs to keep the panels together .It comes in a caulking tube so you can squeeze it between the panels .If you have ever tried to seperate these panels you will see how  tough it is .

take it to a shop and have them check the suspension and spring perch and see if there is a rubber insulator on the top of the coil spring.

Do you think any shop would be ok to do this, or do you guys always find a specialty shop that focuses on mustangs or classics?

Ok, I think I was wrong (ouch, that hurts! :-).  Pulled the wheel and poked around and now I DO think it's the brakes that are causing the rattle. But not the pads, the whole caliper is clacking around on it's mounting pins.

Here's a link to a video https://www.dropbox.com/s/atso8mnazw04cqq/20170219_095003_001.mp4?dl=0

Now the question is how do you stop it? Are they the wrong pins? Maybe missing a sleeve or grommet or ???

Just found a rattle in mine this weekend.  When the rear shocks were changed, the previous bushing/washers/nuts were just left in there.  I kept digging around and wondering where all these bushings and washers came from...

david