Sign in to follow this  
Fantastic

Rumors on repro shakers?

Just saw an ad for a '69 R code shaker repro. Ad claimed all metal as per original, can't tell from original....and priced as if it were an original...lol.

I've always cringed at the price of shakers. Knowing there are as many, or more, 351w cars out there, I would think the market would be there for that part at a fair price point. They currently sell for more than the original price of the whole car.

You can get a decent setup for $800 or so, I did for my 351. If you need all metal then you're going to pay.  The actual shaker/scoop on the lower-priced ones are metal, but the base is fiber-glass.  they also lack the functioning vacuum actuator you get with the more expensive ones.  There is a lot to one, its not just a hood-scoop.  You'll also have to cut a hole, or pay to have that done, or buy a hood with the hole pre-cut.  I probably have $1500 in mine counting hood, labor, and shaker.  But some things are worth it.  You can look at my gallery for some pics of one on a 351w.   We did have to cut the base down a bit for it to fit under the hood.