jgkurz

4R70W Trans for my FE

Hi Folks, I finally have my transmission and wanted to share some info about my unique project. I have a stout stroker FE built for my 69 Q Code and needed a transmission. I debated going Tremec TKO600 but for a few reasons decided an automatic was best. I have a fun stick car already plus I like to drag race so an auto made sense. A 5spd can certainly drag race but it's harder on the car and much more difficult to be consistent. My car will be used for both street and strip duty so a tough situation. A great street transmission doesn't make a great drag race trans and vice versa. I looked into many options including AOD, AODE, C6 with GV, adapter plate, but settled on an offering by Broader Performance in Texas. They were very experienced with modern Ford transmissions and were FE fans which was a bonus. They were able to machine an old FE Cruise-O-matic bell housing onto the 4R70W. This allowed me to use my FE starter with no weird adapter plate. It's really an impressive engineer feat I think. I will be able to use my original speedo cable and shifter so it will all look stock and sleeperish. If you don't know about the 4R70W it is quite a cool transmission. They hold up to a ton of power from the factory and have 4 gears with a lockup converter. I paid to have my internals beefed up plus I have a heavier duty lockup to handle the torque. I am going to use a Baumann Quick 4 controller that can have multiple profiles to adjust shift characteristics and shift points with a turn of a dial. The stall is 3000RPM so hopefully a good balance between street and strip functionality. The rear trans mount and shift rod was made by a gentleman named Joe Persad from another forum. The only major things left are the trans cooler and the driveline. I hope to have it in the car in the spring or summer at the latest. I can't wait!

-John

IMG_20170116_094926189_zps4bujgsk0.jpg

IMG_20170116_094908074_zpsrsdnqrgb.jpg

IMG_20170116_094845241_zpspaizdhzm.jpg

IMG_20170116_093932789_zpscpjgpspd.jpg

IMG_20170116_093831334_zpsvtuxglof.jpg

i was just thinking about this the other day on how/if it would be possible to put my 4R in with an FE. just curious, how much are you into the trans rebuild w/ the custom housing? When you get to it, when you program the controller, for cruising around keep the shift speeds a little lower that you would might want. i didnt want it to go into 4th till about 65mph but with that setting, when it did shift into 4th it'd rock the car pretty good with a hard shift. brought it down to 55 and much better. i then added an OD off switch which is a great option to have too. 

I will have an OD on/off switch and a rotary switch to select between four different calibration tables. I know I want a street table and a drag racing table. I'm not sure I'd need the two extra tables. 

I used a universal fluid cooler from Summit Racing. It is a finned cylinder cse and I ran the tranny liness through the radiator first and then the return through the cooler and back to the tranny. I needed a shorter drive shaft with my 4R and had an aluminum one made. That was only about $180. Turned out really well.

Yes, my research shows only Bendtsen's is making the adapter to fit the AOD and it's variants to the FE.  I went with their adapter.  The car is not running yet but the transmission fits just fine.  HOWEVER, the two top belhousing bolt mounting tabs had to be spot faced down about .250" inch to give the bolt heads extra clearance for the firewall. Because of the thickness of the adapter.  Also, my FPA headers also hit the adapter and I had to remove a wee-bit of material from the adapter at those points.   B.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_fe.htm

post-13423-0-42626200-1484793526.jpg

post-13423-0-90530700-1484794138.jpg

post-13423-0-23072800-1484794246.jpg

post-13423-0-01038300-1484794294.jpg

Lil Mike where did you get an Aluminum Drive shaft made for 180.00

The shops in Houston I found said if I supplied a factory Alum Driveshaft it would be almost $250.00 to shorten and rebalance it.

They wanted like $500 to build me a new one to my specified length....Damn driveshafts are getting expensive

Lil Mike where did you get an Aluminum Drive shaft made for 180.00

The shops in Houston I found said if I supplied a factory Alum Driveshaft it would be almost $250.00 to shorten and rebalance it.

They wanted like $500 to build me a new one to my specified length....Damn driveshafts are getting expensive

It was a local guy my mechanic knows in Greenfield, Indiana. I can get his number if you like?