Ridge Runner

Non Toxic Rust Remover

A friend of mine gave me a partial bucket of this stuff ,he swears by it but i have to see it to believe it .

It is non toxic, will not harm flesh so we shall see if it works .

post-42284-0-01307400-1484690322.jpg

My test subject will be these rusty but not to bad 70 door hinge plates .I have attached them to a wire and dropped them in the bucket ,i am told at least over night .We shall see tomorrow .If it works ,i have a bout 4 buckets of Mustang nuts and bolts and a bunch of brackets to derust 

post-42284-0-74299200-1484690534.jpg

post-42284-0-75642400-1484690617.jpg

post-42284-0-60406200-1484690662.jpg

I've also read about Industrial grade molasses, mixed 1:9 with water.  Completely non-toxic, but it does take a while to work (days). 

The best thing about EvapoRust (which the concours guys love!) is that you can see paint markings beneath the rust after you pull the part out.  The paint will wash off when you clean the part, though. 

Evaporust has been around for a while and works great.

Leaving it in too long can leave a film that you will have to scrub to get off but much easier to do than working the rust off by hand.

What I have done that is cheaper is I bought oxalic acid granuals off of Amazon and I mix up my own version of Evaporust for less money. Still eco friendly. You can also use citric acid.

Bob

This stuff works great, I've used it before. Metal rescue works really well too and is available at Home Depot for $25 a gallon. These liquids get expensive to use unless you buy it in concentrate form. I got some this way from rust911.com. It was relatively cheap in comparison at $59.50 for a gallon of concentrate that makes 16 gallons of the solution.

is this something I could paint on to chassis parts to help in the tough to scrub portions? Not sure if reapplying every few hours would mitigate not being able to soak in a bucket. Thoughts?

It would have to soak in it to do any good .I have some 1935 Ford pick up hood panels that have a surface rust ,soon as i can find something i can soak them in i will give them a go .They don't have as heavy a surface rust as the door hinge plates so they should clean up like new metal