v8ford70

1970 Coupe headliner fixing question

Has anyone any photos of what is used to hold the headliner tight at the bottom of the rear pillars on parcel tray rack.I have the Headliner Tack strips for the rear quarters,but I think that there must be something up on parcel tray where it meets the pillar.Thanks Phil

In addition to the tack strips on the pillars, there are plates that go over two sheetmetal tabs on the far corners of the package tray.  After you get the headliner stretched properly and into the tack plates, the remaining tail of the headliner goes down to the package tray and the plates are put over the headliner and two tabs come up from the package tray to secure it. 

Thanks fordguy69 .Are you or anyone able to let me know if these plates are made of metal & if so do they have barbs on them like the tack strips or are they smooth & how long & wide are they (a photo would be great )it would be very much appreciated.I might have to make them if I can't get a set.Anyone got a unwanted set?Another might be a stupid question is when fitted do the tack strips have the barbs (pointing downward) facing outwards or inwards on the quarter panels. I purchased  a (1970 Grande Coupe) here in Australia 2 1/2 years ago that was completely disassembled in pieces & I'm trying to put it back together as a drive car .Thankyou to all the members in 69Stang for all your time spent putting so much info on this site.It's so very helpfull.I'm very pleased to be a new member. Thanks again Phil

Not sure what they were originally made of.  One of my coupes had some cardboard looking stuff that had nearly disintegrated and the other didn't have a headliner at all!

I just used some 3/4 inch wide aluminum strips and drilled the holes in the appropriate place for the tabs that come up from the package tray.  No barbs necessary on this one.  The indentation on the package tray will show you how long they need to be.  One of my coupes, the metal package tray tabs had been broken off, so I just used some short sheet metal screws to hold down the aluminum. 

The barbed tabs on the pillar should have the barbs facing out away from the body and pointing down towards the floor.  When you stretch the headliner down, you just then push it back towards the pillar and the barbs bite into it and hold it stretched. 

Tried to google some photos but can't find anything. 

Thanks fordguy69,RPM & Caseyrhe ,I do have the Tack strips already I just didn't know how the headliner was secured at the ends of the package tray on the 70 Coupe.Maybe Ridge Runner might know what they look like.Thanking you all Phil

Thanks fordguy69 I followed what you did & used aluminum  strips to secure headliner at corners of package tray & was very happy with the way it kept the headliner pulled tight at the rear panels.I have put photos of my headliner in  Project Progress Forum.Thanks once again Phil