newstang

Another Mach1 Coyote restomod Basket case.

I have learned a valuable lesson today, if you dont have a jig when attempting this kind of resto, chances are shit will be off.

my fender aprons attaching to the firewall, somehow are facing down slightly even though they are dead on the firewall. Im so pissed I havent taken pics and am too embarrassed to show it, although i will tomorrow to save someone else this headache. i also am about 1/2 shorter on one side of the frame rail. it is near to impossible to measure firewall forward on these cars due to different indentations. Plus it was to fit right in on the full Dynacorn floor.

Again, lucky i have a metal shop, but still pissed ! 

sure, ill make those for you. 

the handles are used, the chrome is ok, but not pristine.

the key to these are the sheet metal and the support bracket that comes in behind it that also gets welded in.

thee handles themselves I usually buy from a guy on ebay in england that sells brand new ones.

but of course for a driver these are just fine.

sure, ill make those for you. 

the handles are used, the chrome is ok, but not pristine.

the key to these are the sheet metal and the support bracket that comes in behind it that also gets welded in.

thee handles themselves I usually buy from a guy on ebay in england that sells brand new ones.

but of course for a driver these are just fine.

I have a few sets, what color is your car? not that the color will match, but if its a shade off you just hit the housing with your color.

Ok, i as wrong about being short on the frame rails, thank God! 

I don't know what happened with the fender aprons to firewall, it all seemed good and the aprons married right in, but for some reason they are about 3/8 too low. I mounted the fenders and remainder of the aprons, then cut the rear aprons horizontally and up and they popped up into position. Usually I would cut them out, but why bother when its right under the hinge. i patched it in and tomorrow will run a tig weld of silica bronze to clean it up. I gotta say, I don't know how you guys work with this crap thin gauge steel. in my business the thinnest is 16 ga.. I give you body guys allot of credit, there is no room for error with this thin stuff.  here are some pics, if anyone has a clue as to what could have gone wrong let me know so i know not to repeat this.

post-12813-0-19330700-1488495117.jpg

post-12813-0-24542000-1488495127.jpg

post-12813-0-89017900-1488495136.jpg

post-12813-0-49517400-1488495142.jpg

post-12813-0-87806300-1488495147.jpg

post-12813-0-44927300-1488495155.jpg

post-12813-0-33363100-1488495161.jpg

post-12813-0-97133800-1488495167.jpg

post-12813-0-72662700-1488495177.jpg

so got back to playing around and set the engine in to see where the hydroboost lays. One thing i can tell you is that 4.6 and the coyote are not close to the same. on my 4.6 cobra I have room for the boost, on the 5.0, no way.

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

Great progress man! Question. Have you had issues with stress cracks near the firewall or frame rails on your wife's car? I've heard of people having that issue after driving their car with that front suspension. Since the towers are removed, the original load path is no longer followed. I ask because I have a R&C front suspension in my car along with a 2003 Cobra engine. 

On 4/25/2017 at 6:55 PM, newstang said:

I made an offset today that JUST clears the engine. now I have to make rods to make it work.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Once you get further please post pics.  I have similar issue with clearance on a 4.6 but non mustang.  Once I get the motor set I'll have to figure out the brakes.  Thus far a 90 offset under dash is where I am leaning.

Woah, I know this is pretty far away from finished, but I bet it will look stunning! Good thing is that it's taking shape already. Thanks for keeping up updated so often. Cheers!

On 4/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, 1969Fstback said:

Once you get further please post pics.  I have similar issue with clearance on a 4.6 but non mustang.  Once I get the motor set I'll have to figure out the brakes.  Thus far a 90 offset under dash is where I am leaning.

Thanks guys! 

3 hours ago, 1969Fstback said:

yep, looks really good.  And, I am thinking I can steal that idea and save myself a ton of headache.  Is that 1/4 steel?

yes, i had some laying around, so might as well make use of it.

A wee bit of shimming on the backside and it will be clear of the engine.

overall im happy, it seems even the hood spring will clear as opposed to my other mach1 that I had to convert to shocks.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

adding 1/8" washers on the left side (looking toward it ) seems to give me almost 1/2 space between the cam covers. Perfect!

I think that i will need to notch the bottom part of the hinge to clear the banjo fitting once i get it.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg