Machspeed

Another Borgeson Steering Question

I am seriously considering running the Borgeson setup on my 69 Mach. My car is undergoing a complete restoration, such that everything will be replaced, this includes the entire front end suspension and steering components. That said, my car was originally a power steering equipped car. This Borgeson set up can be done to either a manual or power steering equipped car. Considering that I have to replace my current suspension, I'm wondering what is the better way to go about this??? If I am correct, if I order all my suspension parts for a power steering car, I have to use an adapter fitting. If I order all my suspension parts for a manual steering car, I need purchase a new pitman arm. I'm thinking I like the idea of the manual steering components linked to the Borgeson unit rather than the power steering components with that adapter. Was hoping someone could shed some light on this and if there are any benefits of one setup over the other???  

The cost different is probably minimal.  I installed manual steering center link, steering arm and pitman arm when doing a Borgeson power steering box conversion.  Looks a little cleaner than an adapter.  

Thanks Mike, I think you told me that in a PM and I accidently deleted it to clear space in my box! I like the no adapter look....cleaner!

When I replaced my suspension and steering I kept the stock ps stuff and used the adaptor. I think it is 50/50 for whatever way you want. Part of the reason I did this was in case I needed to remove the Borgeson it would be easier to go back to stock ps. Also, don't get a roller idler arm. That will degrade your return to center. Try to get about 4* castor when all is done. I highly recommend some modern strut rods. Mine are Streetortrack. Don't be surprised if the ps hoses are a smidge too short. Lots of people have that problem and I don't know if the problem has been corrected yet. I just took the borgeson lines to napa and used the fittings to create longer hoses. Cost was minimal.

I got the 6An apapters for the box and had custom hoses made, only cost me $33. I would recommend trying your stock PS pump before buying theirs, my stock one works fine. I got the borgeson box new on eBay last month for $462.

Matt