JayEstes

Advice on new Floor Jack

The time has come to get a new floor jack.  My crappy old, small craftsman won't hold up much anymore, and it's never had enough vertical lift.

I don't have a ton of floor space, so I'd like one that isn't too huge when not in use, and slides under tight spaces, and lifts plenty high.

What floor jacks do you guys have and what are some good features to look for?

Also,  What jack points do you guys use in the front of the car?  The frame is rather high up off the ground, so with the jack I have had, I can't even lift the wheel off the ground if I jack on the frame.  I usually wind up jacking on the frame near the eccentric bolts or literally on the lower control arm (especially if I just wanna get a wheel off the ground).

If you have any advice on what jack to get, and where you like to use it on the car, I'd love to hear some advice.

Thanks!

Jay

I have a couple of the Harbor Freight 3 ton for jacks. I like the low profile unit better because it gets into tighter spaces easier. I believe it lifts to twenty inches. I didn't see the part number on it, but it sells for about $90 on their regular sales days. The handle can be removed from the body rather quickly, like most for jacks.

On the front end up lift from the torque boxes, the engine cross member, and sometimes from the front crossmember below the radiator support. Sometime I'll put from the LCA, but it's a tight fit. From the side I can lift both wheels from a point where the subframe connector meets the frame rail. For lifting the rear I use the rear torque box, or the rear axle.

post-5441-0-78818100-1483691348.jpg

post-5441-0-32656200-1483691391.jpg

I have 2 different sized aluminum ones also from Harbor Freight. One for the garage and one for the trailer. They're so easy to move around the garage or even lift into a storage place off the floor, whereas the steel ones are HEAVY and it becomes a pain to move them around. Prices aren't bad and I've had the 3 ton for years.

3 Ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-62248.html

1.5 Ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

Sears sold Craftsman to Stanley Mac tools all the Sears stores around here are having clearance sales 3ton jack, 3ton stands with creeper 99.95 in store 109.95 on-line. Almost all  Craftsman tools are closeout prices.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-floor-jack-stands-and/p-00950188000P?unitNo=0002330&sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4-ton-floor-jack-set-with/p-00950140000P?unitNo=0002330&sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

I have a NAPA branded 'Professional' series I bought over 20 years ago.  Part number 520-1007.  5.5 inches lowered to ~19.5 inches fully extended.  2 1/4 Ton.  After all this time it works like it did out of the box.  It is a bit heavy though.  The swivel casters make it easy enough to drag around, just don't pick it up to often.

Doesn't look like they still sell them the closest I see on their website is:
https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/OTC5302/OTC5302

More than the Harbor Freight ones, but like I said it's old enough to drink now and still works like new.  I think I bought it in a kit with the stands at the time.  I think each stand is rated at 1-ton.

I have a Sears 2 ton jack, it is at least 15 years old & still works perfectly. When I jack up my car in the front is usually under the bolt on cross member, or from under the lower control arm, in the rear mostly under the rear axle & sometimes under the rear torque boxes.

Thanks for the input guys.  Nice to hear that folks are having good luck with the harbor freight equipment.  

I really like the idea of the aluminum bodies, and the "rapid pump" feature, so I may go that way.  I'm gonna go check them out in person.

thanks for all the other tips too.  Keep them coming if you got more ideas.

I bought the 2 Ton Low Profile "steel" Harbor Freight jack #67022 back in 2009 and it has been a joy to use ever since.   I also like how the handle comes off easily as I store it under a shelf.   Especially handy with my past 2011 Mustang & current 2016 as my older regular profile Allied 3 Ton jack that I've had since the early 90's will not fit under the front of these cars.

Here's a handy wood lift support I made for use under the radiator support modeled on my old Allied jack ... as you can see in the second pic, the support is long enough to add jack stands on either side of the jack if needed.   Also a pic of the Harbor Freight jack sneaking under my 2011.

When I bought the Harbor Freight jack back in 2009, there were a lot of negative reviews for the Aluminum versions.   Since my jack stays on my garage floor, I chose to not chance it and save a little $$ by going with the steel one.   I think the steel one had a higher lifting height too.

Glad to hear all "positive" comments about the HF Aluminum jacks, maybe they improved later versions. 

Doug

post-14006-0-31353800-1485209745.jpg

post-14006-0-07674800-1485209766.jpg

post-14006-0-16048000-1485210233.jpg

I have 2 different sized aluminum ones also from Harbor Freight. One for the garage and one for the trailer. They're so easy to move around the garage or even lift into a storage place off the floor, whereas the steel ones are HEAVY and it becomes a pain to move them around. Prices aren't bad and I've had the 3 ton for years.

3 Ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapidpump-62248.html

1.5 Ton

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

+1. I have the aluminum version of their Pittsburgh Steel (I think). I also have the steel one....stick with the Aluminum

I have a similar wood cutout for another car that notches into the frame rail and prevents it from sliding out. On the mustang, I use the torque box area and the rear diff to lift.

I've got an aluminum Harbor Freight jack and I use the pinch rails with a hockey puck on the jack pad for the front. I plan to upgrade to one of the crossmembers with the integrated jack pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-70-Mustang-Street-Comp-crossmember-w-jack-pad-fits-HiPo-Boss-302-Shelbys-/232006649156?hash=item3604ac8544:g:WvoAAOSwDk5TtOGV&vxp=mtr

I've been thinking about a new jack myself. I have 2 older steel jacks that were given me over 25 years ago. One has a busted rear caster, don't recall if it even works, too heavy to drag out under a car. The other leaks down almost as fast as you can pump it. I broke the left side of the lift arm beating it with a hammer with some weight on it about 10 or so years ago. No damage to anything other than the jack. I welded it back together and have been using it up until last year when it started leaking down. So I'm seriously considering a new one.

Well, After looking at the HF jacks, I opted for the aluminum 2-ton.  Really happy with this jack so far.  They really are much lighter than the steel versions but they do cost more.  For me, I tend to move this thing around in the shop a lot, so I paid for having the lighter weight.  This version also has a "double pump" feature that allows it to move higher with each pump.  I really like this feature.  It's also got a nice foam cover on the jack handle to protect the paint.

I need to make one of those wooden blocks for the frame in front of the radiator!  That frame is very high, and you need a spacer to lift from there, and the forward strut arms that are welded there eliminate any good position for most jacks.  That block solves both problems!

Here's a couple pics:

post-14729-0-55070900-1485620189.jpg

post-14729-0-17425200-1485620203.jpg

oh man, I thought I replied to this already....  sorry took so long.

Jack is awesome for coming down.  very smooth.  This is a big deal to me also, and my old jack was terrible about letting go too quickly.  Mainly because the valve had to be shut very hard, and when loosening it would open suddenly.  The new alum jack can be controlled easily with a twist of the nice wide handle.  Operates very smoothly, I'm really very happy with this jack so far.