Stangboy

Export brace reinforcement plate?

A few questions. I am in the process of straightening and reinforcing the front end of my car. Looking to run a one piece export race and weld the reinforcement plate to the cowl area. First, what is the circular hole in the center of the cowl for? It had a rubber plug in it, but it crumbled when I removed it.

Will it matter if the top of this hole is open after the plate is welded in?

It seems the holes in the plate don't line up with the holes in the cowl. Do I ream out the holes in the plate? Or the cowl? Or do I really need it?

Thanks.

post-142-0-88539600-1483628773.jpg

post-142-0-12747600-1483628813.jpg

post-142-0-87526500-1483628864.jpg

The reinforcement plate goes on the underside of the pinch weld ( the nut side).

Yes, is goes on the bottom side.  Also, on mine, the leg of the angle without bolt holes would not go flush with the firewall and still have the bolt holes line up.  The only way it fit was with that leg away from the firewall.  I wouldn't weld that into place.

The reproduction plates don't fit well,they are straight and should have a bow to match the front of the cowl and holes are always off.I usually lock them in a vise and bend in the bow and just drill through them to align the holes .I believe only the 65- 66 shelby had them in the first place .I have a 67 T5 here ,it has the brace but there is no inforcement plate under it .I have restored a couple of 67 Shelby's but i don't remember if they had the plate or not .

Well, I decided that since the plate comes nowhere near lining up up, and the curve isn't really right top or bottom, I'm going to reuse the plate that came with my old Global West setup. It fits underneath, and fits perfectly.

post-142-0-44146200-1483675881.jpg

post-142-0-66891900-1483675914.jpg

An option would be to use the supplied piece, but use the solid side for the holes in the lip. Then mark and drill for correct location and weld the side with holes to the cowl/firewall. You can plug weld the holes if desired.

That plate was used on the 65-6 cars only.

You don't really need it but if you want one I would just make one that fits on the bottom

Bob

Actually the plate I ordered is for the 67-70 cars. It has a curve in it that is supposed to match the firewall. The earlier cars are straight across. Unfortunately the curve is wrong. It doesn't quite match no matter how I turn it. I could probably get it to match with some heat and a BFH, but the Global West piece fits perfectly.

I've read these braces were only installed on cars being exported out of the United States.  If so, pretty rare to see an originall installed brace for us within the United States.

Ford advertised selling them as an add on for your car, many people added them that were going to be running their car hard

Bob

I put mine on the bottom as this was the only way I could get it to simply fit without any modification to the car.   Looks fine and likely adds some rigidity but not as much as it would were it welded in place with the flange at the firewall.   

Export Brace Reinforcement Plate 1.JPG

Export Brace Reinforcement Plate 2.JPG