newstang

trim delete?

If you want to get rid of the window trim, look up ' flush mounting windows' and see what people have done to do it.

,ore and more people are doing it on vintage cars. Flush mount windows glue in like done on modern cars.

You have to reduce the size of the window opening a little and mount a second window lip up closer to the body surface,

It's really not that hard for someone that can weld and do the fabrication you are doing to the car now.

Bob

Ive never seen black chrome, sounds pretty good, is it sold or do you have to have it done?

There are places where trim would be needed to cover seams and holes, but at the stage Im at i can weld them all in.

I just want to make this car very clean, My last mustang I did Fiat door handles and flushed the tailights with 68 lenses.

post-12813-0-99832600-1483568058.jpg

post-12813-0-36752000-1483568076.jpg

I am powdercoating all the trim on my 1970 convertible.  I have done most of it with a local shop, where they sandblast the trim and coat it with a satin black.

The other, less permanent option is to use Di-Noc or other 3M style vinyl wrap, and wrap all your trim.   The Di-Noc is an exterior, architectural wrap, that is similar to that used in 1969 and 1970 deluxe dash panels.

Ive never seen black chrome, sounds pretty good, is it sold or do you have to have it done?

There are places where trim would be needed to cover seams and holes, but at the stage Im at i can weld them all in.

I just want to make this car very clean, My last mustang I did Fiat door handles and flushed the tailights with 68 lenses.

If you have the original trim and it is stainless, I belive it it bleach that will react to the stainless and turn it black.

You can try it yourself and if you don't like the results you can always Crome over it

Bob

Side marger light were not added to cars back in the late 1960's just becasue the mfg's wanted to additional lights on the cars.  It was some type of legal requirement.  I think DOT or some other agency implemented it.  Notice on new cars, no side markers but the headlight assemblies and tail light assemblies wrap around the sides doubling as side marker lights.

Side markers came into being starting in 68.  Prolly why you see newer cars with wrap around lights front and back to satisfy that safety requirement.  Why would you shave the drip rails?  Isn't that a major structural joint for the roof panel?  I wish newer cars still had them.  I hate driving with my windows all the way up. I prefer a little fresh air regardless of the time of year.  B.

The drip rail is pretty wide. Extends a few inches into the car. I'm gonna just wack the outside part off and weld the roof skin all the way. Then grind it smooth. I have seen some cut it off and leave 3/8s sticking out. Then fold it up on the roof skin then weld it solid. I may go that route.