JayEstes

Wrapping up this ~4 year Restoration

This winter break, I have almost completed a 4 year or so restore of my old 69.  My dad got it for me in 80, I drove her for about 10 years, and put her "down" in the garage.  Didn't stay much outside, dad kept her for me for years, then kids, and when the boys turned teen, I brought her out and began the restore.

I've taken a TON of help from the kind people on this forum - which I am greatly appreciative of, and I've finally brought everything into a near final condition.  I haven't posted many pics up to now, but I feel like with the addition of the final side stripes, and new wheels/tires, this old girl is ready for prime time.

After a big push over this holiday season, with fantastic help and encouragement from my son who is home from college, we have these pics from today:

post-14729-0-98677000-1483166149.jpeg

post-14729-0-62037700-1483166283.jpg

post-14729-0-07167700-1483166322.jpg

post-14729-0-01265700-1483166367.jpg

post-14729-0-27044000-1483166410.jpg

post-14729-0-36895300-1483166515.jpg

That's a modern FORD color "ruby red metallic" - same color on the 2016 mustangs rolling off the line.  My wallet has a permanent scar from the $'s extracted to pay for it.   It's a 3 (maybe 4) stage paint process, but if you get someone who knows how to prep the car, it sure comes out nice. 

I absolutely love that colour. I have seen two 2016 models in that colour here in Aus and I think it is by far the nicest. Right on dusk it has a lot of depth, absolutely beautiful.

Well done on getting to this point. For myself I feel it is many years away. I can't wait for the day when you can see the bottom of the list of the things to do. Enjoyment time from then on in. Congrats. Especially that you got to do the last bit of the adventure with your son!

I absolutely love that colour. I have seen two 2016 models in that colour here in Aus and I think it is by far the nicest. Right on dusk it has a lot of depth, absolutely beautiful.

Well done on getting to this point. For myself I feel it is many years away. I can't wait for the day when you can see the bottom of the list of the things to do. Enjoyment time from then on in. Congrats. Especially that you got to do the last bit of the adventure with your son!

Thank you.  The color looks significantly different in the sunlight.  These photos from a cloudy day.  One thing is the metallic and pearl in the paint don't photo as nice as it appears to the eye.  Much better in person with natural light.

I understand the feeling of "years away".  Just remember that all the work in the meantime is the therapy you need to get there.  For me, the work was a large part of the fun.  Now I am just reaping the benefits of many years work.  And I have to say I had hit a "stall" personally, even after paint, was struggling to find motivation, but my son pushed - there wasn't so much to do, and while there is a handful of things (power steering, AC, front spoiler, and Chrome wheel trim) to put back in, most everything else is new and good to go.  FInally feels like it's really complete.

Your Mustang looks GREAT. I have the same tires on my 69 Coupe, I have 215/70R-14's in front, & 225/70R-14's in the rear, what size did you go with?.

53953-225-70r-14-cooper-cobra-radial-gt.

I stressed about wheels and tires a LOT.  I took as much info from this forum as I could, but I went with 15in wheels, 7 inch width.  I had seen 4.25in backspace recommended and - unable to find that exact backspace in the Cragars- finally took a chance on 4+1/8in backspace.  For tires, I loved the looks of these coopers!  As attractive as any out there I am aware of.  I bought 235 60R 15's all around (i want the flexibility to rotate tires as I expect to be driving this car on all the good weather days!).  

FORTUNATELY, as advice from this forum usually goes, it worked out great.  I have more than 1 in clearance from any fenderwell in full lock-lock turn, and no indication of any fender rub (a big concern for me - something I did not want to have to deal with).  I did put all new (but original design) suspension in up front, and quality gas-adjust shocks.  The ride is really nice - I'm very satisfied. 

-----

To the rest of you guys complementing...  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  It's nice to hear that from men who know what a beauty these machines can be.  And again, thanks for all the help!

Jay

Another thing that you guys might not notice right away is the window tint.  You don't find much talk about that even in these forums.  Seems like most people here often don't even think about it.  I bought a 35% visible light pass, and put it on the original "green tint" glass.  Window adjusting a just a PITA believe me.  We worked a few days on it, and I'm still not satisfied.  

The tinting is needed here as I live in gulf coast TX, and teh summer last from Feb to Nov, so heat from the sun is a major major issue.  I got the tinting with the ceramic IR and UV block.  blocks 90+% of both of those rays.  Not only good for heat rejection, but a help for the AC, and protects the interior fabrics surfaces from damaging sun.

Anyway, thought I would add that detail, as not many folks think about these things.  Folks up north might not even want it if they are in a cold-biased state.

Jay

A/C. What is that? Oh. Air conditioning. Yeah. Does not apply to 4 speed 428 Mach 1's. For me, A/C is opening the kick panel vents to allow searing flamethrower-like heat to enter the car singeing the hair from my legs. Worth it in my opinion although I would us the A/C if so equipped.   Dave R. 

A/C. What is that? Oh. Air conditioning. Yeah. Does not apply to 4 speed 428 Mach 1's. For me, A/C is opening the kick panel vents to allow searing flamethrower-like heat to enter the car singeing the hair from my legs. Worth it in my opinion although I would us the A/C if so equipped.   Dave R. 

If you have a 428 Mach1 stick, you already cashed in all your chips! you don't deserve A/C!  Singed leg hair be damned, you lucky SOB!

JayEstes, on 31 Dec 2016 - 3:29 PM, said:

If you have a 428 Mach1 stick, you already cashed in all your chips! you don't deserve A/C!  Singed leg hair be damned, you lucky SOB!

Thanks. I guess that the lack of a/c is more of a minor inconvenience than anything else. Not complaining you see.   Dave R.

I have one of those 428 heat pumps too! I was considering putting power windows switches on my A/C (being that the crank windows are all I have for air "conditioning ".

Beautiful car by the way. Color is awesome!

Car looks awesome and love the color, are you thinking about lowering the car a bit?

Right now, I am not considering it.  My reasons are basically that before I rebuilt the car, the suspension was worn out, and the front end of the car slung very low.  I had fender rub issues, and I just hated that problem - it's a terrible noise, and can actually bend the fenders.  I lived with that a long time, and in this rebuild, I just increased the wheel and tire size.  So I just rebuilt it to stock, and i'm gonna drive it this way for awhile.  I was worried I might start off with some fender rub issues with these 235/60 r15's, but they are perfect right now anyway.

I know a LOT (vast majority it seems) of folks like the lowered look, cramming the car right down on the wheels to give it a more aggressive stance.  I understand, but I'm not going there right now.  My car is a full original suspension height rebuilt right now.  I never even removed the rear leafs, but I added some good gas adjust shocks (which are fantastic! BTW) and I'm very happy with where everything came out.

I think this stance is nice given the larger tires, and that I don't have to modify the stock settings (I liked the look of a little chrome filter on these side pics):

post-14729-0-81481600-1483328124.jpg

post-14729-0-42552600-1483328601.jpg

Other benefits of "not lowering the car"

1. I just put the front spoiler on, and less chance of tearing it up on a curb this way
  2. No need to go tear apart the front end suspension again
  3. Don't have to permanently modify the springs
  4. Less chance of scraping the exhaust on speed bumps and road hazards
  5. Lowered stance may wind up being just a fad, that 10 yrs from now - people will be wanting to do something else... ;-)  (i know.. old guy comment, but I grew up in the eighties and guys back then were jacking up the rear end, and all of us would laugh at that today)

Just my thoughts. (probably more than anybody wanted to hear.. haha!)

Mine sat pretty similar. Very similar tyres too. Mine had 215 fronts and 295 rears. That was when I first got it but plan to use the same components when I put it all back together. Similar reasons to yourself. My front left was rubbing at full lock. Plus our local roads are disgraceful and the more ground clearance the better.

I'm happy with the look. Old school muscle look I think.

DSC00049.jpg