jgkurz

Who likes their Borgeson Power Steering????

This thread is spawning off another Borgeson thread here where some of us are wondering who actually likes their Borgeson install. It seemed appropriate to start a new thread. 

Personally, I am in the middle of a Borgeson install myself and now have second thoughts. I am into the project about $1000.00 and still have the ability to back out without much consequences. My engine is out so I need to get this resolved beforehand. I am hoping for steering, as promised by Borgeson, that feels good at low and high speeds and the return to center actually works. I am less concerned about leaks and far more concerned about the feel of the Borgeson install. I can fix leaks. Design flaws are far more difficult. I know there are two boxes for the 69 Mustang. The early box, if I recall correctly, has a 16:1 ratio where the latest box has a 14:1 ratio. The only way to tell the difference is to check the turns - lock to lock. I know the PS pump pressure is a significant factor to the feel of the system. Borgeson wants 1150-1350psi to their box with standard type PS fluid, not synthetic. They also want 3-4deg positive caster. I have also read that the Idler Arm may impact the steering geometry. I am using an ACP reproduction version not OEM or roller type. I am unsure which is better. Lastly, I am planning to use a manual steering link so I don't have to use the adapter.

Please comment if you like your Borgeson power steering setup.

Thank you,

John

The early Borgeson boxes were rebuild Toyota power steering boxes and had a welded on bracket to adapt them to early Mustangs.  The newer 14:1 ratio power steering boxes are completely new, including the casting of the steering box.  I don't understand the geometry issue.  I see nothing wrong with mine.

Some don't like the return to center not being as aggressive as the stock steering boxes.  It's because these Borgeson steering boxes have much higher sector shaft bearing preloads and center steering preloads than the stock steering boxes.  I'm old enough to have driven a lot of new cars back in the 1980's still using power steering boxes.  When new, those also had very little return to center.

The early Borgeson boxes were rebuild Toyota power steering boxes and had a welded on bracket to adapt them to early Mustangs.  The newer 14:1 ratio power steering boxes are completely new, including the casting of the steering box.  I don't understand the geometry issue.  I see nothing wrong with mine.

Some don't like the return to center not being as aggressive as the stock steering boxes.  It's because these Borgeson steering boxes have much higher sector shaft bearing preloads and center steering preloads than the stock steering boxes.  I'm old enough to have driven a lot of new cars back in the 1980's still using power steering boxes.  When new, those also had very little return to center.

Thank for setting us straight on the box differences. My comments were directly from Borgeson so they either didn't understand my question or were clearly uninformed about their own product. 

I have yet to find a picture of the new boxes showing the casting is different. I have over 5 degrees of caster and it didnt help with return to center very much. I have driven a lot of older vehicles with integral power steering boxes and the rtc and on center feel is worse than all of them. I use the Borgeson pump as well.

I have yet to find a picture of the new boxes showing the casting is different. I have over 5 degrees of caster and it didnt help with return to center very much. I have driven a lot of older vehicles with integral power steering boxes and the rtc and on center feel is worse than all of them. I use the Borgeson pump as well.

When I purchased mine, I was expecting an older style steering box with a welded on mounting plate because that's what all the ads pictured.  I got mine through Summit Racing, what I received was something completely different.  Complete new casing with mounting cast into it and not a plate welded on.  And it uses standard 5/8 flared fittings for the hoses and not the metric size advertised.

I worked as a GM technician from about 1985 to 1990.  New cars off the delivery truck with power steering boxes had little and sometimes no return to center.  My 1995 F150 has a little more return to center now after 140K miles than it did when new, which was minimal.

I can go on and on about my dislike of the borgeson box but am hopeful the new design is better. Excited to see what people say as far as driving impressions. Leaving the topic of RTC alone, the on center gear tightness makes it very difficult to keep the car in a straight line. Wheel wants to "fall" to one side or the other, for lack of better words. Had alignment/toe checked and then double checked and this is/was with all new ORP track roller suspension (arms,perches) baer tracker outers, SOT adjustable strut rods etc etc Car drove perfect  with respect to RTC and centering with stock manual steering setup, albeit parking being impossible haha. Either design or manufacturing or both created something wrong somewhere. If I have the time one day I am now considering buying an extra steering column and fabbing up an EPAS system... I hear the RTC is good with these.

I did it last year on my 70  and it works excellent.  I used the adapter on my ps drag link and ran the non roller idler arm. 

I have zero steering wander and the response is great. I adapted a saginaw pump to my factory pump bracket and used the inline six hose set.

I set the specs at 4 degrees caster,  0 degrees camber and 1/16 inch toe. Tracks great and I dont have any abnormal front tire wear.

I very much like mine , it was Manual Steering before. Now steering is smooth , steers straight and i can easily Do turns 1 handed now . I got it thru Summit with a Saginaw Pump , i know its the 85ish Toyota Cresida steering gear box they used For the conversion in my kit. I installed it Years back. I just wish their gear box would of  been smaller for more header clearance . And their Hydraulic hoses in kit a bit longer. Other than that No Regrets yet. We are planning on doing a borgeson kit on my sons 66 Mustang sometime in the future.