Machspeed

Original Owners Thread

Probably a better and more appropriate place to put this here in the forums but I could not find it. Still, I'm just curious as to how many here are the original owners of their 69/70 Mach. If so, tell us your story....purchase history; how old you were at purchase; why a Mach over anything else of that era; how you were able to keep the car all these years and what you've done to the car, etc.   

Never been an original owner ,but i have been a second owner a few times ,I always liked mustangs .My first was a 66 coupe ,i was the second owner .I still have a 69 fast back and i am the second owner .This didn't go over to well in high school ,as most were into Camero's ,when i was told  i would look stupid driving that .HAHA 

Probably a better and more appropriate place to put this here in the forums but I could not find it. Still, I'm just curious as to how many here are the original owners of their 69/70 Mach. If so, tell us your story....purchase history; how old you were at purchase; why a Mach over anything else of that era; how you were able to keep the car all these years and what you've done to the car, etc.

Always been curious about the same thing. Always wondered what it was like to drive a 428 car in the winter for one since I have traction issues on dry pavement. ; )

My life began with mustangs and drag racing at the age of 2 when my dads best friend got a built '65 coupe in '67. They used to street light race with me sitting (unsecured) on the hump between the buck seats. I am remember rolling into the back seat when he punched it. As a teenager I helped restore 65/66 verts to concourse level. I always thought I would get a 65/66 fastback until a friend in the army took me for a hair raising ride in a 69 Mach 1......the rest is history.

Ordered it about a year out of high school knowing I'd be on active duty with the Navy in about 9 months.  $88.00 a month.  Kept me broke.  Dad co-signed.  Black jade fastback.  Base V-8, 4 speed.  Dealer installed AM radio.  125,000 miles before I turned it into a money pit.  Somebody get me a crate motor. 

Hard to find original owners on forums as you pretty much have to be in your mid-60s to qualify. Most those guys don't hang out in forums.

If you work a booth at SEMA, PRI  or MCACN, you sure hear the stories first hand though.

Hard to find original owners on forums as you pretty much have to be in your mid-60s to qualify.

True, mid-60s if you bought as a teenager. A 30-year-old buyer of a new '69 would be in his late 70's now. Scary how the time flies as you get older. I bought mine from the original owner in 1974 (I'm 58)

Hard to find original owners on forums as you pretty much have to be in your mid-60s to qualify. Most those guys don't hang out in forums.

If you work a booth at SEMA, PRI  or MCACN, you sure hear the stories first hand though.

Yeah, but we have a few. Saw one the other day that prompted me to start this thread. I'm a second owner guy too....here's my car and story:

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/53352-meet-queenie%E2%80%A6-69-gulfstream-aqua-build/

I think I've just been called "old" and/or computer-disabled.  *sigh*

Hey!  You youngsters!  Get off my lawn, NOW! Dammit...

Hi Tim42, I see that we're about the same age. Its good to know there are other original owners- I thought I was a loner on here. What a coincidence that we have such similar cars. I can't really tell if yours is a 69 but we both have fastbacks that are Jade Black. Mine is a automatic, yours is a four speed. and it sounds like we probably have the same engine, a 351w 2v. Some of the "kids" on here speculate that the original owners just don't hang out on the forums. I don't think that is necessarily the case- I don't think that there are that many of us left. Most of the cars have been sold or the owners have passed. I follow the forums from necessity- the car is old and needs help, and I'm 19 years older than it!

I've lived in southern California most of my life: Downey, South Gate, then Lake Forest. When I retired we moved to the burbs of Atlanta. I do not like Georgia's weather but it is 27% less expensive than living in California which is blessed with liberal politicians and the highest taxes in the nation. Its good to finally live in a red state. 

I was 19, had done the active duty portion of my reserve hitch, and had started working while going to junior college at night. I married my childhood sweetheart. I won't deny that I wanted a Vette but since it was almost twice as much, the Stang was a very nice alternative. My Father-in-law loaned us the money- actually, he held the title until we paid him back. It was about $3800, while a Vette would have been about $6200. The dealership was Taylor Slayton Ford in Huntington Park, which I believe is long since gone.

The car replaced my wife's 57 Chevy. I was driving my first car that I had bought in high school, which was a 64 Chevy. I always gave my wife the good cars to drive while I dealt with the beaters. I haven't had a lot of cars, but the Mach was the most reliable of any. She drove it for about 25 years and finally said she wanted something newer. I kept it, always wanting to restore it, always loving the lines. It became a garage queen, and after my wife passed away 14 years ago I did some work on the car to get it running again. We had some trouble with the A/C early on, and I had to replace the water pump once, but that was it until I let it sit too long unused. Then I had to rebuild the brakes, and the FMX transmission leaks at the shift linage (after repeated seal replacements), and the PS had to be rebuilt (and still leaks) but that's about it. She runs but needs a lot of attention, and marks her territory everywhere she goes. I have big plans for her now that I'm retired and have time to devote to a restoration. Oh, and stay off my lawn.

Questions for original owners......

What was your first impression when you saw the new Mach 1's?

Was assembly quality noticeably poor?

Do you have any pictures of your cars when new? Can you guys post them?

Original 428cj owners(if any) .....was a 428 car considered top of the food chain? I personally had no problems kicking a$$ with my 428 car until the Buick grand nationals came out in 87. I would beat them off the line but they always hung back about 4 car lengths.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

My first experience with a 428 was a R code 4 speed and 391 gears 69 Torino Fast Back i bought as a second owner in 1980 .MY brother inlaw ,a Camero nut thought he could wipe the floor with his 68 Camero .He got me off the line because my stock width tires and 7 inch rims smoked the tires off the line ...until i hit second and caught him and passed his Chevy by third gear .After we stopped and his eyes were big as the hub caps on the torino ,he said i thought i had you and all of a sudden all i saw was tail lights .I just laughed and ribbed him about his precious Chevy HAHA. The Torinos were well built cars ,mine had a bench seat and sat 6 very easily ,it had trunk big enough to sleep in HAHA. 

Hi Tim42, I see that we're about the same age. Its good to know there are other original owners- I thought I was a loner on here. What a coincidence that we have such similar cars. I can't really tell if yours is a 69 but we both have fastbacks that are Jade Black. Mine is a automatic, yours is a four speed. and it sounds like we probably have the same engine, a 351w 2v. Some of the "kids" on here speculate that the original owners just don't hang out on the forums. I don't think that is necessarily the case- I don't think that there are that many of us left. Most of the cars have been sold or the owners have passed. I follow the forums from necessity- the car is old and needs help, and I'm 19 years older than it!

I've lived in southern California most of my life: Downey, South Gate, then Lake Forest. When I retired we moved to the burbs of Atlanta. I do not like Georgia's weather but it is 27% less expensive than living in California which is blessed with liberal politicians and the highest taxes in the nation. Its good to finally live in a red state. 

I was 19, had done the active duty portion of my reserve hitch, and had started working while going to junior college at night. I married my childhood sweetheart. I won't deny that I wanted a Vette but since it was almost twice as much, the Stang was a very nice alternative. My Father-in-law loaned us the money- actually, he held the title until we paid him back. It was about $3800, while a Vette would have been about $6200. The dealership was Taylor Slayton Ford in Huntington Park, which I believe is long since gone.

The car replaced my wife's 57 Chevy. I was driving my first car that I had bought in high school, which was a 64 Chevy. I always gave my wife the good cars to drive while I dealt with the beaters. I haven't had a lot of cars, but the Mach was the most reliable of any. She drove it for about 25 years and finally said she wanted something newer. I kept it, always wanting to restore it, always loving the lines. It became a garage queen, and after my wife passed away 14 years ago I did some work on the car to get it running again. We had some trouble with the A/C early on, and I had to replace the water pump once, but that was it until I let it sit too long unused. Then I had to rebuild the brakes, and the FX transmission leaks at the shift linage (after repeated seal replacements), and the PS had to be rebuilt (and still leaks) but that's about it. She runs but needs a lot of attention, and marks her territory everywhere she goes. I have big plans for her now that I'm retired and have time to devote to a restoration. Oh, and stay off my lawn.

Enjoyed the read! I share your desire to always live in a red state, as I too am an ex Cali guy! Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. 

John 

I think I've just been called "old" and/or computer-disabled.  *sigh*

Hey!  You youngsters!  Get off my lawn, NOW! Dammit...

Never under estimate an old man that drives a classic Mustang!

My wife is the original owner of our Mach 1. She ordered it in Jan. 69 and got it in Feb. Her dad (a farmer) was with her when she ordered it. He suggested she get the Mach 1 option as it had heavy duty suspension but thought the 351 was enough engine for her. She was in her 3rd year of teaching at a small town high school. The high school boys thought she was the coolest teacher. We met later that year when I returned from a year in Vietnam. It was a daily driver until 1980. We restored it after our kids were out of collage and are enjoying driving it again and going to shows.

post-14779-0-02859200-1483034938.jpg

Questions for original owners......

What was your first impression when you saw the new Mach 1's?

Was assembly quality noticeably poor?

Do you have any pictures of your cars when new? Can you guys post them?

Original 428cj owners(if any) .....was a 428 car considered top of the food chain? I personally had no problems kicking a$$ with my 428 car until the Buick grand nationals came out in 87. I would beat them off the line but they always hung back about 4 car lengths.

Just some thoughts.

Dave

What appeals most to me are the headlights, and least is the DA (duck's ass). I always liked the styling but couldn't tell you why. After joining the forums I now think its probably the styling cues taken from the P51 Mustang with the scoops and black hood. I've always loved planes and the P51 was the premiere fighter plane of WW2. 

I had a boss in the early 80s that explained some of Ford's quality problems. He drove a 68 California Special and worked for them through the 60s. he said that quality was very bad and the assembly guys would also leave their lunch trash in the cars. The United Auto Workers thought they owned the plant. They would hide trash behind the seats and side panels. Ford tried to work through the problems but the union people wouldn't change their pissy ways. Ford finally told them they had to shape-up and shut the Dearborn assembly plant down for a week with no pay. They came back to work and continued as if nothing had happened. Ford shut them down for two weeks. Things started to improve. The fit and finish on my Mach was bad. They touched-up something on the passenger rocker (to this day I don't know what) and left over spray on the lower chrome trim. The carpet wasn't long enough and wouldn't stay under the vent panel in the passenger side foot well. The trunk never sat right, always high on the passenger side. The stripes started chipping and peeling almost immediately.  

I do have a Polaroid of the Stang with my lovely wife at the wheel sporting her bouffant hairdo of the day (God we were just kids). I think this was Day 1, with the dealer plate on the front. The color of the picture has long since faded. Its in a collage frame with many other pictures and will need to be carefully removed and scanned. I'll work on that.