Sign in to follow this  
1969Fstback

Gauge Cluster Testing out of the Car?

None of my gauges have ever worked and I have not messed with them at all.  I have aftermarket temp, oil and amp gauges where the radio used to be.  But I'd like to get the cluster working.  I haven't pulled the cluster out yet, but I am thinking of pulling it and refurbishing it in the basement over the winter.  

Is it possible to test the gauges with the cluster out of the car?  Be nice to have it all done with working gauges before spring.

thanks

Most aftermarket gauges are three wires: ground, power, and signal.  You can test each gauge by providing ground and power using a 9V transistor battery, then briefly attach a ground lead to the signal post: the gauge should peg high. 

On stock gauges, do the same thing but there is no ground lead: apply power to the post that has power coming from the CVR and briefly ground the signal post.

Mid mentioned briefly, just a minute, to see the needle move.  Also, do not expect the ampmeter to work, none of them ever did, even on new cars. if you have problems, the odds are it is the CVR or flexstrip, or ground connection.  The last thing to be a problem is probably the gauge.  This is especially true if 2 or 3 of them do not work. 

Regarding ammeters, I purchased a good used one from Perogie recently because the pointer on the original ammeter never moved.  This one works.  I get some needle movement when turning on headlights, etc.

When I purchased it Perogie also had NOS ammeters for Mach 1's.

What all do I need to send you for that service? Which parts?

You have two choices: (1) I provide the dash cluster harness with a quick disconnect and a matching connector and wire pigtails.  You are responsible for splicing in the existing dash cluster wires into the pigtails.  (2) Send in your underdash harness for refurbishment and I'll do the conversion plus provide the dash cluster harness.

How does a new circuit panel fail?  They are so simple.  I've only swapped out two on different instrument panels.  Never had any issues.  Maybe people are not paying attention to the connections and making certain they are clean.  Attaching old dirty 46+ year old connectors into the new printed circuit panel expecting all to be okay.  Or bending the circuit panel and breaking a conductor.  Sorry to sound negative, but that just seems like an unusual strange problem to occur.