bryonbush

borgeson review after 4K miles

Do you have the 14:1 box or 16:1? I am unhappy with how mine drives too, and I haven't had leaks using the borgeson hoses (which I wish they made at least 1.5" longer). In the future I am considering doing an electric steering conversion and using the factory box. Glad I kept it!

Wow, I'm really starting to question whether I want to go through with my Borgeson install. I have all the parts and have spent around 1600.00 for everything but so many people are unhappy. My engine is out so now is the time to figure out how to proceed. The FE engine is tight in the engine compartment so I have no desire to deal with steering issues after the car is back on the road. I wish there was a clear answer.

So what are our options for power steering in a 69-70 Mustang? Here's the list I'm aware of.

• OEM Ram style with control valve
  • Rack and pinion
  • Borgeson
  • Electric
  • CPP (Might be Borgeson)

Im getting to finalize my Borgenson install as well as my upgrade to Power Brakes. I decided to do this since I have a new motor to install. I was not happy about cutting an 1 3/8's off my steering tube. To me it's a tighter fit more than I want. At first I couldn't get the box to mount on the frame, but thanks to 1969_Mach1, he had the same problem and told me to file it down which worked.

If you note on the instructions they do not want the rag-joint set screw in the void part of the steering box shaft, but rather seated an inch in. I called them on that and I was advised to seat it in 1" and mark the hole for the set screw then file down the teeth on the steering box shaft.

I have a concern about feeling resistance at the center of the box.  When I fully turned out left or right, it spins easily until I get towards center where I meet resistance, as I continue to spin out of center it opens up and the resistance goes away.  It feels like that turning left or right.

The only explanation I might have is that they are making it tighter at center so there is no free play.

Every worm and sector type of steering box has an adjustment for the "center steer" preload.  This is almost every steering box since at least the 1950's.  The worm and sector gears are designed such that there is an interference fit between their teeth when the steerinig box passes through the center popsition.  Since the majority of driving is straight or very close, without an interference fit between the worm and sector gears through the center position they would bang together as the tires passed over bumps and ruts, etc. and eventually break.  Thus, the interference fit through center is to eliminate any impact loads on the teeth of the worm and sector gears which would eventually break them.

The original steering box, even when new had very little "center steer" preload compared to the Borgeson steering box.  If worn and never rebuilt or adjusted, the original steering box probably has no remaining  "center steer" preload.  When some complain of a lack of a return to center with the Borgeson power steering box, I think this is the why.  It's simply the design of the steering box and nothing is wrong.

Do you have the 14:1 box or 16:1? I am unhappy with how mine drives too, and I haven't had leaks using the borgeson hoses (which I wish they made at least 1.5" longer). In the future I am considering doing an electric steering conversion and using the factory box. Glad I kept it!

i have the 14:1. so i had new hoses made which had a better, beefier flare to it and that stopped the leaking from the box side. with their hoses, not only are you over paying, i honestly dont see how they could last over a year if you actually drive your car. when i pulled the hoses, the rubber was baked and cracked from being so close to the headers. 

So i pulled the headers to remove the box, way easier than pulling the brake stuff up top. i dropped off the headers to get ceramic coated and then sending off the box for repair to Borgeson tomorrow. it will be interesting to see how long it takes and what they say is wrong. financially i dont have any other options and really hoping the repairs work. but it if busts again, then ill go over to TCP and get the rack. 

From what I understand the 14:1 ratio steering boxes have been out for at least 2 years.  And the 16:1 steering boxes were Toyota steering boxes with a mounting plate welded on to adapt them to these Mustangs.  From the pictures you had posted, yours is identical to mine as Borgeson told me I had a 14:1 ratio steering box.

14:1 ratio indicates 14 degrees rotation on the input shaft will rotate the output shaft 1 degree.