turnerpl

electgrical issue, possible dead ground

I have a 1969 Mach 1 with Deluxe interior.  I recently changed out the dash voltage regulator to solve my blinker, interior light issues.  It worked, but now my dash lights don't work.  I have my clock pulled out because it doesn't work either.  I had one good bulb and one burned bulb in the clock, so I don't know if I have a bad clock or if it's just not getting power or both.  What is the best method to test my clock?  I want to make sure to mention, I did check fuses first and they are all okay.  I also replaced the light switch and that did not solve the problem.  I am getting ready to pull by dash pad off and pull out the instrument cluster for better access to my wiring.  Where should I begin?  If my clock is bad does anyone have a good clock guy I could send my clock to for repair?

I finally have my dream car, I just have a few issues to correct.  Thank you for any help.  I appreciate the opportunity to learn from all you wizards!!!!

With headlight pulled, probe the plug that is there for the clock and check on the underdash side the female blue/red wire for voltage.  It should be less than 12V, though.  This test will indicate whether you have power or not. 

By the way, the dash cluster regulator has nothing to do with the lamps, only with the oil, temperature and fuel gauges. 

Listen to Randy, he is the resident electrical guru here and is compensated handsomely. Welcome to the forum Turner! Since most hairy legged boys like to look at pictures, how about posting some pics of your dream car eh?

the operation of the clock is a basic one, it has a solenoid that when the contact closes rewinds the main spring, the contact may be dirty and need cleaning, another issue is the original lubricant may have dried out. Try spaying the mechanism with WD40, sometimes that will fix this issue. The clock is 12vdc so you can fix it outside of the car.  

Listen to Randy, he is the resident electrical guru here and is compensated handsomely. Welcome to the forum Turner! Since most hairy legged boys like to look at pictures, how about posting some pics of your dream car eh?

I think I just was called fat...*G*

yeah but your picture shows you have really skinny legs and your knees articulate backwards

One of the five things I remember from college is that what most think it's the knee on a flamingo is their ankle.

Hey ML, I may call someone well marbled, but never fat!