390mach1

1969 351 Shaker Help

i'm installing a shaker in my car with a 351 the engine has been stroker out to a 393 i have a air gap intake and I sat the aftermarket shaker on the engine and it looks like it sits to high has anyone installed an aftermarket shaker on a air gap intake?

Not me, but I did install a 428 shaker on a Weiand Stealth intake. I thought of milling the carb pad but instead made some Ron Morris knock off lowering motor mounts. Pics of how high it sits would help, but removing the carb spacer might help.

Air gap manifolds sit to high for 69s . I had to modify my shaker base using a performer rpm manifold and I had the big block base that sits about an inch lower . So your air gap sits 1 inch higher than the performer rpm and if your shaker base is the small block style add another inch. There's no way it will fit .

ok, exactly which aftermarket shaker do you have?

what carburetor do you have?

how much does it need to come down to be in the correct position?

post a photo of your mid plate taken directly from the side.

put the air cleaner base only on a table . do not put the mid plate on it.

put a straight edge across the top

hook a tape measure to the lip that sits on the carburetor then measure the distance to the bottom of the straight edge and post the info.

scott drake has one for big blocks that measures 2 1/8" . if yours measures more than this, you can buy that one and it will sit lower.

place the shaker top on the mid plate and see if it rocks and see if the mounting pads on the bottom of the top piece contact the base or if there is some clearance between the pads and the base where they should mount.

the drake mid plate is made incorrect . it steps up around 3/8" in the rear so the top sits at an angle so if you have a drake unit, you may have to buy their reproduction steel mid plate for $225.00, but as mentioned, it still may not fit with the air gap intake,

My build is not to the point of fit up yet, but I have that same intake on my stroker 351w and also plan to have a shaker. I knew when I ordered it that I would have a clearance issue so I ordered engine mounts to lower my engine 1/2". I also plan on modifying my filter pan. Sorry little help here but I am interested to see how your setup goes together. Please post on this with pictures? Thx!!!

Super Stanger you have a few options and you may need to use all of them if you want to run the shaker. 1 Lower the engine mounts. 2 Install a different intake, 3 modify the base .

I used the Fiberglass big block base and had to cut it down and as I'm running the FiTech  unit  had to put a hole in it also to suit the fuel fittings.

Base mods on my fibreglass base. I lowered it by 15mm by cutting down the part that sits over the carb. By doing this it makes the hole larger so I fibre filled it back to form  a round hole.

post-39819-0-77674200-1482174568.jpg

post-39819-0-99738100-1482174601.jpg

post-39819-0-82306300-1482174635.jpg

post-39819-0-49444200-1482174660.jpg

post-39819-0-32855100-1482174708.jpg

post-39819-0-27345400-1482174765.jpg

Man. First of all 390mach1 your engine looks beautiful. I've heard putting a shaker on a non shaker car requires lots of moding, I originally wanted to put a shaker on my Mach 1 but cost + amount of molding required wasn't worth it, and then I've rear that the shaker dosnt even add hp (maybe a max of 3hp) so I gave up but your rides looking sweet and I hope you figure it out! Also shep69 your ride is also very beautiful!

I think a different intake should be considered.  If a single plane is desired, the Torker II with a 1" carb spacer is still much lower than the Victor Jr.  The tapered 4 hole to open carb spacers are supposed to work pretty well.  Plus the carb pad on the Torker II is angled to get the front of the air cleaner down.

Shep, I purchased from your fine country, my entire Shaker setup, minus the pan. I wanted all metal and it was actually cheaper to buy from Australia than to source parts here in the US.  Part of what I purchased was an upper adapter that fits just inside of a factory 60/70's air cleaner. With this, I can cut the height of the air cleaner pan and hopefully make that shaker assembly fit. Are you familiar with that adapter ring?      

Shep, I purchased from your fine country, my entire Shaker setup, minus the pan. I wanted all metal and it was actually cheaper to buy from Australia than to source parts here in the US. Part of what I purchased was an upper adapter that fits just inside of a factory 60/70's air cleaner. With this, I can cut the height of the air cleaner pan and hopefully make that shaker assembly fit. Are you familiar with that adapter ring?

Hi machspeed,

Yes our 71 XY Falcons had shakers on the GTs . You can purchase the shaker assembly all in metal locally and yes I have seen the adapter ring that you mention. That way you can use an standard steel base and modify it to suit. I ended up with a fibreglass lower and aluminium upper section because the price was good at the time. I think the local shaker units bases still have to be modified if using a non standard height intake manifold on a 69 . Like you said it would probably be cheaper to buy an Aussie shaker unit as our dollar is down. They still make the die cast surround for our falcons . I had to purchase a Scott drake surround for my 69 , just pressed steel and what a piece of shit it is for the price. So for all our American friends who are looking at the shaker option in metal maybe purchase one from down under and save some coin.

fordmuscleparts.com.au

These guys have a complete metal shaker for $1000 Aus . That's around $700 US .