My Mach 1

Windshield Removal for Headliner Replacement

I installed the headliner on my 70 Mach 1, and to do it right and have it look good, the rear glass and sail panels must be removed. The headliner goes in behind the rear glass rubber molding. So do the sail panels. You need to purchase a new rear glass molding and the proper 3M sealer for the rear glass rubber. Make sure this sealer is installed in the inner groove in the rubber molding, between the rubber and glass. After the glass is in, the sealer is installed between the rubber and the metal body, like cauking. Sealer can be installed in the outer groove, but it's very messy, because this is where the string goes when you install the rear glass. The stainless trim will cover this. It is messy, but it cleans up easily with mineral spirits. The front glass could be left in. I had taken my glass out, because it was cracked.

I just replaced my headliner in my 69 Mach 1, the front windshield is a glue on, no gasket, so it wouldn't really help to remove the front glass, the part that holds the front is the metal trim that goes from a pillar to the other a pillar. Where the sun visors set in the center. That's all you need to hold the front, just don't put too much pressure in the screws holding it in or it'll rip the headliner. I have pictures if you need but it's pretty straightforward.