1969_Mach1

Coil Spring Insulators

Anybody use the 3/8" thick Scott Drake Polyurethane upper coil spring insulators.  They look nicer than other Polyurethane coil spring insulators.  But, I cannot get them to fit over the flange on the bottom side of the shock tower.  It seems the ID of the insulator is too small.  With brute force and no coil spring I can get them to expand a little and go over the flange on the shock tower.  But with the coil spring, they cannot expand any and will not fit.  One of them tore forcing it into place with the coil spring.

Questions:  Will these work with any coil spring?  Or will these only work with a Scott Drake coil spring?  Do all coil springs have the same inside diameter so they fit properly regardless of spring rate?  I am trying to install them on Grab-A-Track coil springs that Mustangs Plus sell rated at 560 lb./inch.  These have a wire diameter of 0.720".  The ID or OD is hard to accurately measure.  Has anybody else tried these insulators?  If so, with what coil springs?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c4dz-5415-ur

I am having the same problem with the Scott Drake poly spring insulators, they do NOT fit. I ordered a set of the rubber ones. I have a set of the performance coil spring that OTR sells that came in a Drake Automotive marked box. 

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/coil-spring-insulators-black-polyurethane-1964-1973/

http://opentrackerracing.com/product/performance-coil-springs-1967-1973/

Doing the ones on my car; the insulator is installed into the top of the spring and is turned until the coil end hits the stop in the insulator.  Fits flush with the shock tower top.   My stuff is all stock so may not apply to what you guys are asking ?  Brian

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking of trying a set of the Scott Drake springs Mike65 has thinking they might have a larger ID.  But now, I guess not.  Mustangs plus use to sell a 3/8" thick poly insulator that looked like the Scott Drake one but actually fit.  They no longer sell it.  I have a new set of 1/4" thick and 1/2" thick polyurethane insulators that will fit.  Hopefully one of those will give me the correct ride height.  In the past, 3/8" thick was correct on my car.  Any ideas how to easily trim the 1/2" thick poly insulators I have to 3/8" thick?

For what it's worth, the first time I assembled the front suspension I used the stock type rubber insulators.  In my experience stronger aftermarket coil springs quickly destroyed them.

Mike65, I am curious what the ride is like with the Scott Drake  600 lb./inch front coil springs.  They get some good reviews.  I recently removed a set of Grab-A-Track 600 lb./inch springs and installing their 560 lb./inch springs for a little softer ride.  I know it won't be much softer but I don't want to go to a stock or GT type coil spring because the car is lowered a little. 

Thanks for the input.  I was thinking of trying a set of the Scott Drake springs Mike65 has thinking they might have a larger ID.  But now, I guess not.  Mustangs plus use to sell a 3/8" thick poly insulator that looked like the Scott Drake one but actually fit.  They no longer sell it.  I have a new set of 1/4" thick and 1/2" thick polyurethane insulators that will fit.  Hopefully one of those will give me the correct ride height.  In the past, 3/8" thick was correct on my car.  Any ideas how to easily trim the 1/2" thick poly insulators I have to 3/8" thick?

For what it's worth, the first time I assembled the front suspension I used the stock type rubber insulators.  In my experience stronger aftermarket coil springs quickly destroyed them.

Mike65, I am curious what the ride is like with the Scott Drake  600 lb./inch front coil springs.  They get some good reviews.  I recently removed a set of Grab-A-Track 600 lb./inch springs and installing their 560 lb./inch springs for a little softer ride.  I know it won't be much softer but I don't want to go to a stock or GT type coil spring because the car is lowered a little. 

I have to go with the stock rubber spring insulators because the poly ones just do not fit. Unfortunately I will not know what the ride is like for a while since the car is just going back together & I still have to build the engine & rewire the car.

Mike65, did you try any of the Global West or Prothane coil spring insulators.  I know both of those fit my coil springs and the shock tower.

No I did not, the ones I have that do not fit I purchased from OTR.

I have a set of Scott drake slightly used variable rate coil springs listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

FWIW...I used a set of stock rubber insulators on the springs with no problems

Bob

I used Grabber-trac springs in my car and what I did to get poly spacer to fit upper shock tower was to heat them up with a heat gun.

Originally used the 1/4" ones and switched  to  3/4" ones and both needed heat to fit

Removed them a couple months later to do other work and where fine and fit without any extra work.

Larry

I used Grabber-trac springs in my car and what I did to get poly spacer to fit upper shock tower was to heat them up with a heat gun.

Originally used the 1/4" ones and switched  to  3/4" ones and both needed heat to fit

Removed them a couple months later to do other work and where fine and fit without any extra work.

Larry

Heat is a good idea.  I think I'll try it to the 3/8" thick Scott Drake insulators to fit.