Sign in to follow this  
Print Dad

Rim Blow Horn stuck on - need experienced helpers

Hello All,

Well today was a great day for us and the Mach.

​We finally won a trophy - got people's choice and

that was great - - however - -an issue arose and i am looking

for a LOT of advice and suggestions.

I noticed a horn wire was off the horn when I went to hook-up

the battery - -I connected the battery and put the horn wire on the horn,

Yup - the horn was blowing

I must give a little background on this "issue".

​Oh yeah the car is a 70 Mach with a rim blow wheel.

we have had the car  long time

The horn would only work if I squeezed on a few spots on the steering wheel

That has been the case for years and years but I could sound the horn when I wanted

So i am assuming the switch has now crapped out. Not sure if that is the cause of the issue and I am terrible at

electrical.

So now a long list of questions and looking for advice

1. - Does this sound as though the switch is the issue?

any advice on what I could try before replacing the switch

2. - Who makes the best switch for the rim blow? and who sells them

Such as MU or CJ etc etc

3. - I watched a video on replacing the switch and seems a bit tricky.

I would LOVe to hear from people that have swapped the switch

4. - If people think this is too hard of a job - -could you recommend a place that would

do the swap and perhaps refurbish the wheel.

I know this is a LOT of questions and I have figured that this day would come

but i have been nervous to swap the switch for fear that I will mess up the wheel

​I sure appreciate any and all tips advice and thougths

I got the fever again and want to work on the old girl

Thanks - -Sam  (print Dad)

http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php/topic/55514-69-rim-blow-switch/ The ' search ' function will cough up a bunch of experience's. Depending on how your fever shakes out would you mind posting your results ? Particularly interested in the length of your OE switch using the measurement method described in the above reference post.Thanks, Brian

Its been years since I did this so much of the issues I experienced, with the provider and the switch itself,  may not apply anymore.  However the overall difficulty is not that bad.  I found it to be simple removal, clean out and install. 

I would test the switch with a meter to see if the switch is shorted, then go from there.  But, if it was only working in certain spots, it probably needs replacing.  Good luck. 

I've installed both a new OEM switch and an aftermarket Carpenter brand switch sold through Scott Drake.  The aftermarket switch is much more sensative to damage during the installation.  Definitely follow the instructions on how to press the switch into the groove and use a lot of soapy solution.  Make absolutely certain the groove is clean clean clean.

One difficulty arises because apparently the groove on these plastic steering wheels gets slightly smaller with age.  Then excessive force is needed to install the switch and usually damages the switch.  I ruined one Carpenter switch before I found out about that.  Before installing the second switch I carefully shaved off a little material to make the groove a little wider. I used an Exacto-Knife and then wet sanded with some 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a piece of a paint stir stick to remove any sharp edges or burrs left from the Exacto-Knife.

I checked both switches before installing them and out-of-the-box both were okay.  Installing the first switch that I ruined before opening up the groove a little required a lot of force and that popsicle stick they give you with the switch.  The second switch only required pushing with my thumb and finger nails along the edge.  So far, the second switch works okay.  That popsicle stick they provide with the switch is to push in the edges.  From my experience, I suspect, if you need more than your finger nails to push the edges in the switch will probably get damaged.

One last thing.  When you take the switch out of the box, the contacts are often not fully inserted into the rubber strip.  You can carefully slide the contacts to get them fully inserted.

Hello all

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

I plan to check the circuit as best I can and then

talk to wife and see if she thinks this is one of those

projects I should send to PRO's.

I like the challenge of a job but afraid I may screw things up worse  LOL

Thanks again - it does sound as though I could do this if i took my time

One last question - -why does it seem as though people always

remove the wheel - -I was thinking it may help to work on it as it is

attached  to the shaft. MAybe just easier to work with it out of the car

Thanks again - -Sam

Theoretically, it could be installed with the steering wheel installed.  But, with the ammount of cleaning of the groove and soapy water solution during the install, I would remove the steering wheel.  Also, the switch needs to be handled carefully so it's easier to install on a bench.

My wife would be more inclined to say fix it yourself before paying somebody else?  But, I've always done my own work.  I am very skeptical when it comes to pro's in niche markets and usually feel they are not worth the fee's they charge.  I'll admit, I've made my share of mistakes.  But learned from them as well.  Good luck.