Sign in to follow this  
mark69sportsroof

Horn Goes Off While Driving

Hi Everyone,

While driving the 69 Sportsroof today the horns went off for about 30 seconds by themselves.  They would randomly go on and off in bursts.  Burst vary from 2 - 30 seconds.  I have disconnected the wires from the horn until I figure out the problem.  Has anyone experienced this issue?  Where should I start to investigate the reason for it.

Thanks Mark 

The classic Grant wheels are notorious for this. Some of the other steering wheels use a similar horn installation kit.  I ended up unhooking the wires and leaving the horn nonfunctional - I can't remember the last time I used a horn anyways.  Additionally it allowed me to tighten the steering wheel hub down better.  

david

I officially swore off ever using a Grant wheel again after battling to get the horns to work right. I now use a forever sharp steering wheel and really like it, horn is fully functional and has given me no problems yet.

You must not live in California David :)

Indeed, about as far away as one can get... NC.  Wouldn't mind visiting sometime though.  In NC, a car over 25 years old doesn't have to pass inspection and the only time my horn in the newer cars I own get used is when I press the lock button once too many times on the key fob :-)

The classic Grant wheels are notorious for this. Some of the other steering wheels use a similar horn installation kit.  I ended up unhooking the wires and leaving the horn nonfunctional - I can't remember the last time I used a horn anyways.  Additionally it allowed me to tighten the steering wheel hub down better.  

david

Or anywhere that has other drivers!

I have the Grant steering wheel and like the look of the wood wheel but the horn never worked after multiple tries to fix it. I am almost finished restoring my original wheel and will put that back on soon.

Lived in Asheville for a year and have been back multiple times. Downtown area has changed dramatically since I lived there in '90. NC is one of my favorite states--beautiful beaches on one end and mountains on the other.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have a Grant 13" wood steering wheel.  What are my options besides disconnecting horns? Thanks Mark 

Unfortunately this is a common problem, at least you horn button is not falling off in your lap. You can try covering the wires in heat shrink or electrical tape and covering the metal parts with insulation tape. Its just trial and error so find a quiet time and take the button apart, you may be able to identify the problem and use some type of insulation to solve your problem.

I tried to solve that issue on my Grant Wheel for 5 years. Unsuccessful. Those wheels are very poor quality IMHO: The wood gets very sticky when the weather is damp, the horn mechanism is crap and shorts all the time, and when temperature gets a little warm inside, the horn button pops off the wheel on its own and falls... I grew tired of that brand and got myself another wheel. A real nice top shelf one (LeCarra). Couldn't be happier!

G