moose425

1969 Mustang 390 Starter

HI:

I have a 1969 Mustang, 390, GT.  A few weeks back the voltage regulator blew up, and I tired to drive home and the car finally stopped as the battery was fully dead.  I replaced the voltage regulator, and charged up the battery.  Now, sometimes, the starter barely turns and I get a VERY loud "knock" from the starter area.  This is usually after driving a long distance and stopping the engine for a few minutes.  I had the battery tested and they said it was good.  I have a header close to the starter which I realize can heat up the copper coils in the starter making it harder for the starter to crank.  The starter is a high torque starter, and the battery is basically a cheap one.  Should I replace my battery with a 800 CCA battery, will this stop the horrible loud knock I sometime hear from the starter?  I have wrapped the header with lava tape in an effort to keep the starter cool.  What is making the very loud knock??

Thanks,

Mark 

I have a four speed, no torque converter.  I go back to what started this, and it was after the battery was fully cycled dead.  I am still wondering if my battery just can't start the car when the starter is hot from radiant heat.  Complicated by the fact it is a high torque starter which I imagine draws more current.  Just my guesses.  Thanks for any help. 

The original style starter, regular or high torque, cannot tolerate the radiant heat from exhaust headers close to the starter.  I cannot even use an original type starter on my 351W.  The best solution I am aware of is a Permanent Magnet Starter.  They have much more torque and are physically smaller which moves them farther away from radiant heat.  Unfortunately they are more expensive.  To the best of my knowledge Ford has been using PM starters since the early 1990's.  I don't know of an original late model car or truck PM starter that fits the FE series which narrows the options to aftermarket.