Mike65

New steering wheel opinions

Does anyone have any experience with the CJPP wood wheel mentioned in earlier thread? Curious about the horn button and if there are similar wiring/grounding issues that plague the Grant wheel.

I just finished restoring my cracked original 2 spoke wheel. Used some epoxy putty to fill the cracks after i ground them out and sanded it smooth. Just painted yesterday and it turned out good. Cost me less than $20.

Time for an update, I purchased a leather wrapped 15" steering wheel from Danno here on the site from an early 80's Ford Bronco/Econoline/F-150.  I had to remove the 2 metal contact rings from the back of my old steering wheel & remove 1 tab from each ring & modify the contact ring spacer that Danno made for the back of the steering wheel so both of the contact rings could be installed in the spacer. Danno removed the steering wheel lock plate from the back of the steering wheel before he sent it to me, & once I received the steering wheel I attached the spacer with the modified metal contact rings to the back of the 80's steering wheel & did a test fit on my 69 Coupe, I like how it looks.

54173-2-01-17-back-new-steering-wheel.jp

54174-2-01-17-front-new-steering-wheel-4

54063-1-13-17-steering-wheel-1980-bronco

Time for an update, I purchased a leather wrapped 15" steering wheel from Danno here on the site from an early 80's Ford Bronco/Econoline/F-150.  I had to remove the 2 metal contact rings from the back of my old steering wheel & remove 1 tab from each ring & modify the contact ring spacer that Danno made for the back of the steering wheel so both of the contact rings could be installed in the spacer. Danno removed the steering wheel lock plate from the back of the steering wheel before he sent it to me, & once I received the steering wheel I attached the spacer with the modified metal contact rings to the back of the 80's steering wheel & did a test fit on my 69 Coupe, I like how it looks.

I always thought that was ingenious to make that wheel work.  It goes well with the woodgrain dash and could almost fool me for stock. 

david

Gauge bezel looks awesome.  Did you just have it painted or was there some extensive filling and sanding required?

Thanks, I too like it. No filling  was required, I just scuffed it with a Scotch Brite pad and refinished it with 2k rattle can paint. I probably could have just scuffed and cleared the top black lip, but I did paint it also.

Mike,  I might have a black panel if you want that instead of woodgrain. But if you have a deluxe interior, like mine, you will want the woodgrain. I am not sure I bothered asking you about that. 

I attached again how it works on my car. Like others have said, you really have to know Mustangs to know the wheel is not original. 

post-13130-0-00034100-1486269929.jpg

Mike,  I might have a black panel if you want that instead of woodgrain. But if you have a deluxe interior, like mine, you will want the woodgrain. I am not sure I bothered asking you about that. 

I attached again how it works on my car. Like others have said, you really have to know Mustangs to know the wheel is not original. 

danno,

If you have the black horn pad I would prefer that over the woodgrain one since I do not have a deluxe interior. Let me know please.

Mike.

Ok so I hope I not committing a crime here, I know this is over a year old but DAMN, looks bad azz. Danno this is what I emailed you about. 92 is what u stated but 82 is what I find when i go to ebay. One is 200.00 but it freaking looks good shape. I hope to put black leather on it and use red stitching. That will match my tmi interior. 

I got your PM and replied.  I might have been wrong about the exact year, but this wheel was used on a lot of late 1980s to early 1990s Fords, Mercurys, Lincolns, and Ford Trucks.  The wheel looks like it is wrapped in black leather, but that is just made to look like it.  So because the leather wrapping is simulated, putting a red stitching on it would not be possible.  That is a great idea, though.  I have a leather wheel in my other car, and I actually prefer the soft feel and good grip of this wheel over the leather. 

You can see the complication I had to put the horn rings from a Mustang onto the new wheel.  I had to make an adapter, which was not too difficult. 

By the way, in case anyone is interested, I did get the cruise control working. Took all the right parts off of newer Fords, and they fit perfect in my 69 with a 302. Again, it was a challenge, but the whole car is a challenge. If you are interested, I can tell you how to do it. 

IMG_0194.JPG

I'm glad this topic was brought back up! And thank you RPM for laying off the calendar police...lol! I keep going back and forth as to what I want to do with the wheel on my 69 Mach. My wheel is actually in decent shape without cracks. It's a little shinny, polished from hand wear and needs to be textured and painted. I could use a new foam pad and the rim blown horn needs to be replaced. I could probably spend $400 bucks with all the parts and have it looking pretty good, but it's old and in time may crack. And, I really don't like the rim blown horn thing and all the problems that come with it. Many here have had wheels rebuilt and that horn switch still does not function well. At the same time, I am wanting something that looks a lot like my factory wheel. Here's what I have been looking at: 

https://gtperformance.net/product/14-4337-gt-classic-wood/

I'm thinking about purchasing the wheel and painting the spokes and center horn piece black like my OEM wheel. I can possibly fabricate some aluminum rings to press into the holes in the spokes, as I have a lathe.  Thoughts?

Also, is anyone familiar with the quality of this product? 

I cannot view the link, it is blocked for me.  One thing to keep in mind is to insure it fits that center bolt and will the horn rings work with yours.  So many use different diameters on the horn  rings.  You might need to so something like what I did?

For my '68 coupe, I wanted a smaller wheel, so went with a vintage 13" MG wheel using the hub/adaptor from my Moto-Lita 14" wheel, and the center emblem.  For my 1970 Convertible I am going with Billet Specialties.

IMG_1230.jpg