Mike65

New steering wheel opinions

Yea Dave, not to keen on that one.

Ha Ha Ha  I actually have it saved in my watch list and have been debating about getting it but the longer I look at it the more I think what am I thinking.

Dave

I'm partial to these two,  which I think have the classic look.  My Mach 1 horn hasn't worked since I bought the car, and after reading the posts of other members having issues with repro rim blow horn rings(http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php/topic/55514-69-rim-blow-switch/,) I'm leaning towards one of these.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/steering-wheel-retro-mustang-3-spoke-wood-15-3-hole-bolt-pattern-brushed/p/STW27/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201473833598?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm going with the LeCarra Mark IV pictured below. You can get it with a slot in the spokes (Like the 70 rim blow wheels) or with round holes (like the 69). I have a ginger interior and they have a color that looks like it matches.  

post-42483-0-13847200-1477326491.jpg

The LeCarra and the Corso look good.  But, it's always tough to select a steering wheel that also fits into the interior.  You don't want to look at the end results and think, nice steering wheel, but . . . it kind of seems out of sort with the rest of the interior.  There are repro's of the original steering wheels.  An original fits with the interior.  But, by itself, the base model original steering wheel doesn't look as nice as these others.  Good luck.

I went with the 1992 Ford truck wheel.  I have cruise in my vert, and I wanted that on the wheel  (yes, it works).  You can get them without the cruise if you want.  The woodgreain is close to the Mustang, and  the  "camera case" black finish is exactly the same as the console.  The wheel is soft leather , about 2 inches less in diameter than the Mustang factory wheel.   I can tell you more if you want.   I think I might even have an extra one I could unload if you want.

post-13130-0-23010100-1477332179.jpg

I went with the 1992 Ford truck wheel.  I have cruise in my vert, and I wanted that on the wheel  (yes, it works).  You can get them without the cruise if you want.  The woodgreain is close to the Mustang, and  the  "camera case" black finish is exactly the same as the console.  The wheel is soft leather , about 2 inches less in diameter than the Mustang factory wheel.   I can tell you more if you want.   I think I might even have an extra one I could unload if you want.

danno,

Does the other wheel you have does it have cruise control & wood grain like the one in your pic?.

Mike.

I like the one from GT performance because it has the round holes.  To me, the Mustang wheels have always had the round holes as part of their design.

david

Agreed. I have the Pro-Touring Steering wheel, its a good set up and simple install. 

I love my Lecarra wheel and got the black leather one.  I was thinking of doing the wood grain for my truck but think I'll just do the leather for it as well.  I have a friend that did a 67 Shelby Convertible clone and did the wood one and it looks good but is not as comfortable.

LeCarra is way above Corso in terms of quality. Two different worlds. I got one of those Corso Feroce and was very disappointed by the quality... Pretty much like the rest of what SD sells these days: crap. The Corso wheel stayed two months on my car and was swiftly replaced by a LeCarra. After 9,000 miles, I am still amazed by the beauty and the feel of that wood steering wheel.

G

Look at the Forever Sharp steering wheels...I have one and LOVE it, plus you can change the top pieces out to wood grain, leather, faux wood etc... and they have a lot of colors to choose from.

Its a VERY Well made wheel and fits perfectly

Most of the wood ones I looked at were as pencil thin as the OEM wheels..

In 1960s or so this was normal But I never cared for it..Maybe that is why wheel wraps were so popular?

(The death of most rim blow wheels)

Size matters!!   Now lets talk about horn buttons. (After a cold shower)

I have to give a quick shout out to Forever Sharp steering wheels. I bought one a while ago and I really like it, especially since the horn works! Few know about them but they have good reviews.