Mexmen

69 mustang coupe that runs for a couple of minutes, stalls and then won't start

I have a 69 Mustang Coupe with a 302 motor in it that every time I start it I run it down the block turn around it dies. I start it up, get back to the driveway, pull in the driveway, turn it off, turn it on and I'll run it for a minute turn it off go inside to get a drink and then come back and it won't start. Any ideas on why it does this would grealy be appreciated. The motor is a 302 new rebuild and a new electronic distributer, has a new Edelbrock 1406 carb on it and I'm still having problems. Help please

I have a 69 Mustang Coupe with a 302 motor in it that every time I start it I run it down the block turn around it dies. I start it up, get back to the driveway, pull in the driveway, turn it off, turn it on and I'll run it for a minute turn it off go inside to get a drink and then come back and it won't start. Any ideas on why it does this would grealy be appreciated. The motor is a 302 new rebuild and a new electronic distributer, has a new Edelbrock 1406 carb on it and I'm still having problems. Help please

The 1406 carbs are a basic carb based on the old carter carbs, so it may or may not be the issue. I would be looking at the electronic distributer as a possible cause. Most electronic distributers need a full 12v to operate correctly so check into that and you may need to remove the resistor wire at the ignition switch. Can you try to refit your original distributer.

When it doesn't start, do you have spark?

Running fine for a short while but then stalling is pretty much electrics or fuel, and determining if you have spark when it stalls will eliminate a whole host of causes.

Part of the key here is that it works for a while, then it doesn't. That usually means heat is effecting something. Sometimes that means a coil or wire heats up and opens, or something in the fuel system changes, like vapor lock, or flooding, or the choke coming off.

I would check for spark first just to narrow the field.

I had a problem with SAND in the fuel line once, someone had dumped it in the tank while the Previous owner had it parked in his driveway. The car would start and run for a few minutes but as the fuel pump pumped fuel (and sand) up to the carb it slowly plugged the carb fuel filter. Car would shut off eventually, if I let it sit long enough to let all the sand drain out of the filter I could then start the car again and start the whole process over again. I ended up draining the tank then getting it flushed out, also cleaned out the lines and installed a few "In-Line" fuel filters to be safe. Fixed problem and car ran great once all the sand was gone.