Sign in to follow this  
BigDuke6

I keep leaking fluid from my DS rear axel onto the brake rotor

I have a Currie 9" rear with Superior Axle and Gear 31 spline axles.. The bearings went bad in less than a year so I rerpleaced with new bearings and Timken 9569S seals. The right side is in perfect order but the left side keeps leaking. Is there a slightly oversized seal I can use?

I guess I can measure that. The axles were newly installed in 2007 (Superior Axle and Gear, which seems to have gone under since then) and I have maybe 1500 miles on the car since then. I am going to replace the seal again and see what happens. I am guessing that the seal was defective since the right one is doing ok.

Are you installing the correct seal?  Originally, 31 spline axles used a seal with a larger I.D. than 28 spline axles.  And the original 31 spline axle has a sleeve over axle that rode on the I.D. of the seal.  If you don't have that sleeve you might need 28 spline axle seals.  My 31 spline Moser Engineering axles do not have that original style sleeve on them so I use seals for 28 spline axles.  Back in the early 1980's my lder brother was purchased new Ford 31 spline axles (back then they were still available from Ford) and didn't get the sleeves for them.  He also used seals for 28 spline axles.  I would get axle seals for both 28 spline and 31 spline axles.  When you pull the axle next time measure the O.D. at the seal surface and also check the fitment of each seal on the axle before installing any one of them.  Return what you don't use.

I guess if everything I mentioned doesn't help.  I would measure the O.D. on both axles at the seal surface.  You might have a bad axle.  Lastly, the wheel rotates nice and straight without any wobble that would indicate a slightly bent axle?

Did the axle bearings on both sides go bad in less than a year or just the drivers side?  That's a bit concerning.

Does the drivers side axle bearing fit into the housing correctly?

69 Mach 1:

The first bearings went bad because the guy who installed the first set of bearing used the wrong bearing retainer plates (C clips) instead of the square ones. That is why the bearings went bad so fast. we replaced the bearings and seals using 9569s seals. There are no sleeves that go on the inner of the bearing. They are 31 spline axles but they take the small bearings. The right side is fine. No perceptible wobble on the DS axle. Given that the right side is ok, I am thinking that maybe the seal was installed improperly or is defective. If it goes bad a second time, then we will have to change up

Give it a try.  I thought the seal had been replaced a couple of times already and the issue still exists.  Maybe it was deformed during the installation.

As far as retainer plates.  I don't like the C-shape retainer plates.  But, they are very common.  My Moser Engineering axles came with that type so I installed them.  The retainer plates simply push against the bearing outer race.  I don't see how those would cause a bearing failure.  I'd question if somebody told me that's what caused a bearing failure.  Just doesn't sound like a reasonable explanation.