Sign in to follow this  
ashleesmach1

Modern Starter

I am looking to install a more modern starter on my car. I want to replace the heavy original unit for a lighter one. The one off a 93 Mustang Cobra would fit the bill. However, I'm not sure how to connect the wires with the solenoid on the fender. I really don't want to loose the solenoid. Can I bypass the lighter starters solenoid and connect the power wire directly to the starter ? Thanks!

1. Move the big red wire on the solenoid that goes to the starter over to the other side of the Solenoid which is

"The battery Side".... Your basically just putting Straight power to the New Starter all the time, but it wont engage till you do step #2.

2. Route a new wire to the starter signal post from the location you removed the big starter wire off of and your good to go

post-13203-0-97736700-1476200179.jpg

I've been using PMGR starters from the salvage yard for years and have yet to have the starter itself give a problem. It's always the attached solenoid. I've replaced a BUNCH of those.

I've had one apart though. There's a small planetary gearset in one end but otherwise they're pretty much like any other starter rebuildable wise. Since you can buy a new off Ebay so cheaply rebuilding one hardly makes sense. 

I find it very annoying that you can buy a complete cheap off-brand PMGR with solenoid off Ebay cheaper than you can buy just the cheap off-brand solenoid at the local parts store. I wouldn't look down on one of those cheap Ebay type starters, lots of folks have been well pleased by how well they work and last. 

My local "Pull-A-part" sells starters for $19.95 plus a $7 core charge.

The cheapest PMGR 1995 Mustang starter at my local O'reillys is $79 plus a $10 core.

Depends on where you shop. I don't have a problem with either price.

I do have a problem with O'Reillys (and all the rest) selling just the PMGR solenoid by itself for $50. I mean more than half the price of a complete starter WITH a solenoid on it. That's just wrong. About double what it should be priced at. Not that anybody is asking me...

Local salvage yards are asking @$25 for a used one.

I've noted over the years that parts prices can vary drastically depending on what part of the country you are in. Pretty cheap around here I guess.