RCE1313

AOD Transmission Question / Issues

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a 408w motor with a AOD transmission. I'm having issues with getting the transmission to shift correctly. When I "get on it" the transmission is shifting a lil over 4000rpm which I feel is too quick and then when I'm cruising around 70mph and slow down to around 45-50 the transmission isn't downshifting out of over drive. If I just take it easy off of a light I'm in overdrive by 40mph. Has anyone had any issues running AOD transmission similar to mine? Should I look at swapping out the transmission for another automatic or go to a manual to try to help with the shifting issue? I don't have a preference on transmissions. Curious to see what others are running and if anyone has advice on getting the AOD dialed in. Help!!!

Have you checked your TV pressures?  What mods were done to the transmission before installation?  IIRC there is a kit available to fix the low rpm shift points.  I will need to do some searching to find it again.  B. 

Hey LindenBruce, is the recalibration kit necessary if you have an aftermarket valve body? I have a PA automatic valve body that changes the shift to prnd12 for my AOD. The box is stock at the moment but I'll be rebuilding it in the near future. When it was in the car it wouldn't up shift into od until 70mph and wouldn't drop down out of od until 30mph.

Cheers Shaun.

Thanks LindenBruce. This issue has been occurring since I've got the transmission so I'll see about changing out the governor. I've messed with the tv cable to get it shifting better but it's still not like it should be imo.

Hey LindenBruce, is the recalibration kit necessary if you have an aftermarket valve body? I have a PA automatic valve body that changes the shift to prnd12 for my AOD. The box is stock at the moment but I'll be rebuilding it in the near future. When it was in the car it wouldn't up shift into od until 70mph and wouldn't drop down out of od until 30mph.

Cheers Shaun.

Quit possibly yes.  The kit I posted the link to works with the governor, not the valve body.  The same thing can be achieved through mods to the valve body as well.  B.

Thanks LindenBruce. This issue has been occurring since I've got the transmission so I'll see about changing out the governor. I've messed with the tv cable to get it shifting better but it's still not like it should be imo.

Yes, low shift points was a regular common complaint with the AOD.  B.