Rsmach1

What do you think it's worth?

So unfortunately due to some health/financial issues I might have to sell the love of my life. It's a 69 M code Mach 1 California car with very little rust, 1 spot on the lower door, and on both lower rear quarters. The rad support and both front aprons need to be replaced, I have the new aprons.

Engine is out of the car and because of the the work done to it I'm probably going to keep it, FMX in the car but needs to be rebuilt. The only other thing missing is the A/C system (compressor, condenser, evap, dryer, and lines)

There are a couple of pics in the gallery (And so it begins By Rsmach1)the car is pretty straight.

There are no cars within 200 or more miles from me other than a shell for sale (for 15k seems crazy to me) so I'd just like some input from you guys.

Thanks, Randy.

Edit looking to see what some of you have paid for "project cars"

Sorry about your situation.  We all think we will never have to sell these cars.  Not trying to hijack the thread.  If it helps any I am getting ready to sell my 1969 Mach 1 as well.  Kind of stressful.  Never thought I would.  But, my oldest brother has health issues and is giving me back a 1956 Ford pick up he got from me back in 1987.  I inherited this Mach 1 in the beginning phase of restoration from another older brother who suddenly passed away back in 1995.  But, I cannot afford both or have the space for both.

As far as value, 15K is crazy for just a shell.  Have you looked at Hagerty's valuation tool.  Not being running and driving hurts its value.  Is the motor you have numbers matching?  Do you think by selling it with the motor you can get back what you spent on the motor?  As yours is, from what I have seen on EBay, I would guess 12K-14K in its current condition without the motor.  The value of Mach 1's are difficult because usually, doing most of the work yourself, full restoration costs are about 25K to 30K.  Then add that to the initial cost.  But the end result is a car worth about 30K unless its a rare R code car.

Based on description of mine I was told by Checkered Flag Classic Cars in my town that mine was in the low 30K range retail and somewhere around 27K if I wholesale to him.  The motor is year correct, but not being numbers matching hurts it even though it is only the M code 351W.  Being a rust free California car helps it.  I think if I could get close to 30K I will be happy.  Although I might wholesale or consign it to spare myself the hassle.

Again, sorry about the situation. 

I paid $17,500 for my running 1969 Q code Mach 1 in November 2010 in Western Washington, Seattle area.  

Here's what was wrong with the car when I bought it:

- The car has a non-original 1966 428 "A scratch" block.  

- The car has a GT or Grande interior I think because it doesn't have the red stripe on the seats or red panel in the carpet.  

- The car ran, but very rough.  I found out later when I tore down the engine that the balance job done on a recent rebuild done by a previous owner was crap, and it was in need of a valve job.

- The Toploader tranny would get stuck between gears, and has a non-original Hurst shifter.

- The cars original color is Black Jade, but was (and still is) in black primer.  

- The car was missing other valuable, hard to find parts: distributor, intake manifold, carburetor, air cleaner assembly, smog, shifter.

- The car also needed a full brake rebuild, but at the time of purchase I only noticed one brake grabbing.

Here's the good:

- It was a running , original Cobra Jet car when I got it that could be driven, but only short distances.

- Original Mach 1 rims with good tires.

- Good interior, but not original type.

- Has original exhaust manifolds.

- Has original cylinder heads.

Hope this helps, but it is about 6 year old market.  Also, I bought it from a guy who owner a roofing company, and the housing market crash was really hurting him.  I was in the market for a big block project car to build with my kids.  I think that may be the market that is your best bet.  If your not in a hurry, start high and gradually come down on price.  Craigslist is good for finding local buyers, but you will have no-shows and tire kickers.  Same with Autotrader.  Ebay can be good, but you have to have lots of pictures, and make sure every single thing wrong and right with the car is in your description.  Good luck with the sale.  Ultimately, it's not what your willing to sell the car for, it's what someone is willing to spend on it.

Instead of trying to figure out the market for a non running, needs work, M code 69.  Maybe try to figure out what it would be woth to you to have it gone ?  You know it needs ' work ' and you also know it's going to be thousands of dollars and many man hours of your time or worse yet a shops time  My best guess, brutal, 8K.  and maybe someone will step up that's willing to spent another 15k + to have a running 69 fastback.  Brian

8k is brutal.  I hope its far off.  But it definitely takes more than 15K to get these cars back to a restored reliable condition.  Body and paint alone will consume 10K if no body panels need replacing.  I don't like, but believe and accept most cars, including Mach 1's, have a lower value than the cost to buy and restore one.  Trying to buy one at low cost up front so the finished car is valued at more than the total investment just doesn't work these days.

Mine is a daily driver and I do drive it daily the motor is done along with MANY other small things..15000.00 would not get it to the point of paint that I can see....It all adds up just to fast........Remember it only needs_________????$$$$$ 

Well thanks for the replys guy's, I'll find out in a couple weeks if I'm gonna have to part with it. The brutal 8k estimate is about what I kinda figured, after seeing some badly rusting cars going for 3k+. I'd sell it with the original engine but being its disassembled, and what I have in it, I don't think it would add enough to the sale price of the car to make me feel better lol. Besides I can always drop it into a 1/4 mile toy later.

Thanks again guys.