jgkurz

Engine Bay Restoration

Here's what I recommend. There are more expensive PPG products lines instead of Omni so use what fits your budget.

(1) quart PPG Omni MTK9300 Acrylic Urethane Single Stage Black Paint

(1) bottle PPG MH167 Fast Topcoat Hardener

(1) can PPG MR185 Fast Reducer (Use a slower reducer above 65deg F)

(1) quart PPG SU4985 Universal Matting Agent

Combine per the following in a painters cup. 4 parts paint/1.4 parts matting agent/1 part hardener/1 part reducer. If you use the small increments on the cup plan on mixing up at least two batches to cover the whole engine compartment with two coats.

http://buyat.ppg.com/RefinishProductCatalog/ServeFile.ashx?FileId=3516D840-93EB-401E-8856-60B9311B3F74

You know, I've hear great reviews regarding the use of SPI epoxy primer in the low gloss black for the engine bay. From what I've read, the stuff sticks, has the desired sheen, is easy to match if need be and cleans up nicely. Anybody here use this for their engine bay?   

One last comment on this thread. I needed to re-paint a spot but didn't want to mix-up and spray the PPG stuff again. I looked at several aerosol paints but only Eastwood's Underhood low gloss black was correct. The color and sheen were near perfect. I would rather have used my HVLP gun with PPG but for this touchup job the Eastwood was near perfect. 

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-underhood-black-paint.html

I will be following up in other threads with my findings on KBS. Sprayed a couple test cards with the KBS Black top in flat last night. It sprayed well (be sure to clean your gun right away tho) and dried very fast. Once it sets up, it should be very durable. They say it won't fade or discolor ever. If you get wax or oil on it, you are supposed to use their cleaner and it should restore to new again. Will follow up with wax/oil removing test soon. Behind the test card is an original '69 hood with original/ untouched black out treatment.

Dave

post-38628-0-82077100-1478784818.jpg

No update from me. I'll be using PPG as described above but not until spring. It's 13deg today so everything is on hold until 60deg is in the forecast.

Ha! 14° in blustery western NY! I hope to paint the 3 shades of black by tend on month. Door problems been holding things up since October! Just want to get past the doors. Rest of the car is ready for paint.