jgkurz

Engine Bay Restoration

Hi Folks,

I am starting a new thread for my engine bay restoration project. I am putting in a brand-new engine and transmission and decided to restore the engine bay while everything was out. My car is not concourse correct but I would like it to be mostly period correct. It's definitely not a resto mod. There are modern updates but I try to keep those hidden from view.

My first question is in regards to brake lines. I am replacing all the front brake lines with stainless steel versions. Did Ford paint any of those black like the engine compartment or should I just keep them the stainless steel color?

Bare metal finish is the way to go on the lines. While the black engine bay paint hides grease and grime quite well, I really like a light grey paint for it and the under carriage.

Getting ready to paint my engine compartment. Going to spray Ditzler DDL 9423 (low gloss black). It is a lead based paint and was told it should hold up well to the heat. Also going with stainless brake lines with the natural finish.

I'll keep checking back because I'm sure there will be more good info....and I'll have info to share as well.

Dave

I am going to be also painting the engine compartment on my 69 Coupe within the next week. I am using master series silver to coat the bare metal & the top coat with their chassis black.

Great info everyone. Thank you. Here's a bit more on my project. I took the whole front of my car off except the suspension and brakes. I replaced all that last year so I didn't want deal with that again. I took the car in to a professional sandblaster and had everything blasted from the top of the aprons down and from the firewall forward. Everything is out out the engine compartment so it was a good time to update the various hard to access components and fix issues from 47 years of use. I'm even replacing the steering box with a Borgeson to get rid of the "Rube Goldberg" power steer that was in the car. Everything will be new including a discretely placed hurst line lock. For the paint I definitely wanted a OEM Ford looking satin black. I decided to go with a KBS RustSeal for the first two coats and a KBS Blacktop for the final coat. The is no rust but I want a very durable finish that would last over time. 

Ooooh, I feel a little turned on. haha. That's a beast! Very nice.

Please share your experience fitting the new FPA headers once it's all going back together. I bought them for my FE as well.

Nice looking unit, looking forward to engine to fitted and running.

Are you spraying the KBS paint as i am close to this stage also.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to getting it done as well :-). Yes I am spraying the KBS from a paint gun. I've done plenty of rattle can restorations. You just can't get the look that a regular spraygun offers.

Well I shot the top coat yesterday using the KBS Blacktop OEM Satin product. I was happy with the paint and how sprayed but the sheen was way off. It is VERY glossy. The folks at KBS are very helpful but I don't recommend the Blacktop OEM Satin for an engine compartment if you want that stock look. I will be sanding it all down with 320 grit and applying another topcoat with a much lower sheen. Ugg!!!! SEM Hot Rod black seems to be the right product after talking to a local automotive paint supplier and reading here. 

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=64836.15

https://www.semproducts.com/refinish-custom-finishes/hot-rod-black-kit

I also am considering PPG but I need to make sure the the mix is correct. The SEM comes with the exact mix instructions where PPG is a bit more guess work. 

So I made a decision. I'm going to sand everything down with 320grit and paint a PPG urethane in satin. It's a single stage multi part product (paint, hardener, reducer, flattener) that I will be able to customize the sheen to my liking. I sure hope it works....   Stay tuned. 

Yep, the 4985 is the flattner (matting agent) that I purchased. I also got the PPG black sheen brochure and the below chart for the different black mix options. My plan is to spray some test panels to get the exact sheen I want before I spray the final topcoat. I should have done this instead of using the KBS Blacktop. I like the KBS RustSeal but their topcoats just don't look as good as the PPG paint. This is just my opinion. 

Based on the chart I will probably first try 4:1.4:1:1 or 11.2,8,8 or 35% matting agent. The 35% was the recommendation from forum member BuckeyeDemon which should get me the desired satin that is a little less sheen than semi-gloss and a bit more than eggshell.

PPG%20Matting_zpsfekjmw5z.jpg

I may use the SEM Hot Rod black on my hood but it seem too flat for the engine compartment.

what not just use the paint you have and adjust the amount of the flatting agent?  that's the beauty of this, you can adjust to your taste.

I just got my paint chips from KBS coatings. The flat black seems to be very correct for the hood treatment. Checking with my paint guy tomorrow to get his opinion.. if anyone has used it , please post a pic or give your opinion.

Thanks,

Dave

I would not recommend using KBS under any circumstances for the outside of your car, only to coat the inside of your body panels. SEMS makes a flat black that's the right she an for the hood and your interior. The hot rod black goes on to thick.

KBS says it's flat will not mar or fade. I was going to call KBS because he site didn't answer all the questions we have.

Can the SEMS hot rod black be flattened more than it is?

Following up on this thread, the below mix was spot on perfect for the engine bay. I am very happy with the look. It is very close to the OEM satin in my opinion. 

Yep, the 4985 is the flattner (matting agent) that I purchased. I also got the PPG black sheen brochure and the below chart for the different black mix options. My plan is to spray some test panels to get the exact sheen I want before I spray the final topcoat. I should have done this instead of using the KBS Blacktop. I like the KBS RustSeal but their topcoats just don't look as good as the PPG paint. This is just my opinion. 

Based on the chart I will probably first try 4:1.4:1:1 or 11.2,8,8 or 35% matting agent. The 35% was the recommendation from forum member BuckeyeDemon which should get me the desired satin that is a little less sheen than semi-gloss and a bit more than eggshell.

PPG%20Matting_zpsfekjmw5z.jpg

Following up on this thread, the below mix was spot on perfect for the engine bay. I am very happy with the look. It is very close to the OEM satin in my opinion. 

So....if I want to go this route....what part numbers do i give my paint guy?

thanks,

Dave