My Mach 1

Whats your favorite wheel for a Mach 1

I like the original chrome Styled Steel wheels on the 69 Mach 1's.  Still have the original's on my Mach 1.  If they were to ever be replaced I'd probably go with the 15x7 repro versions of them.  Magnum 500's are nice.  But they are like the Chevrolet Camaro.  Millions of them out there.  If you look closely at the Magnum 500's, you'll notice they were not specific to Ford and other car mfg's also used them, but with different center caps.  If you want a Magnum 500, there are some billet aluminum versions that look close to the steel wheel.

I believe they were made by The Motor Wheel Corporation in the 60s and early 70s, which was owned by Goodyear starting in 64. AMCs, Buicks, Chevelles, many Mopars, and of course Torinos and Mustangs all had very similar versions with slight variances. Most the other brands were also known for other types of wheel, so most people associate them with what seems to be now the most popular application, Fords. I think the Boss cars were probably the ones that got them up to a decent size.

Before anybody makes a comment that is a diaper under the car.. 

If it didnt leak oil i would think somethings wrong...

If it doesn't leak oil it is probably empty. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.  Dave R.

235/60-15 all four and also the 65-66 620 front spring are 1" lowering on a 65-66 and end to be 2" on a 67-70 and therefore no need to cut coils

Larry

Just so I get all the vitals was your wheel size 15x7 and what is the back spacing? Could you post a bigger picture of your car so we can see the stance please?

Post 4 are the pix's I have right now, larger one is 14" wheels and smaller 15" wheels.  I have posted the spec's but here they are again 15x7 4.25 BS,

235/60-15 all around. The difference was 14"=25.9" height and the 15"=26.1" height.  My speedo was dead nuts on @ 60 mph against GPS now 1 mph off with new 15" tires

For the stance if you measure from center of wheel to fender lip 12 3/4" front and rear, about 3/4" of tire tucked front and back.  Shelby 1" drop roller perches, I can't believe how lucky I was with this odd combo of using a 65-66 620 (560 lb) 1" lowering spring on a 67-70.

Every one cuts coils and then say's the 620's give a harsh ride,  my car rides better than it ever has with this combo.  I can take speed bumps at 5-10 mph no problem, the back doesn't take them as well.  The 65-66 spring is identical to the 67-70 except there 1" shorter, so 1" for 65-66 spring plus 1" because it's 1" lower than the stock 65-66 spring = 2" total and not having to cut springs.

You have to use 3/4" poly spacers on the top, with 1/4" poly spacer the spring gets loose when jack it up.  The 3/4" keeps tension on the spring so stay put when you lift it The stance is not to low to scrape or have bump steer

Larry

Here is a pix of the new 15" wheels

post-38071-0-53342500-1475628353.jpg

My Mach 1, I love the look of the Magnums but EVERYONE is running them. I wanted something other than that so I went with the 15" version of the stock GT wheel. All chrome so no trim ring needed. Makes for a neater look. At least to my eye. Using the stock caps also.  Dave R.

This for a 69

I put these on my convertable

Bob

Larryc94 thanks for the recap. Summarizing your posts your specs look like this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Summary:

Front springs: Grab-a-track 620's (560 lb) for a 65-66 uncut. Same as 67-70 but 1†shorter

3/4" poly spacer (raises car 1.5â€, with 1/4 spacer spring is loose when jacked up)

1†Shelby drop

Roller perches

KYB low pressure shocks.

Rear springs are Scott Drake 4.5 mid eye

1" lowering blocks

Wheels:15x7 4.25 BS

Tires: 235/60-15 all around

ride height now: 26.10†stock*: 26.813†delta: -0.713â€

Center of wheel to lip now: 12.75†stock*: 14.813†delta: -2.063â€

*stock= 47 year old springs, stock wheels, 215/70R 14 tires, 351W, FMX

Larryc94 thanks for the recap. Summarizing your posts your specs look like this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Summary:

Front springs: Grab-a-track 620's (560 lb) for a 65-66 uncut. Same as 67-70 but 1†shorter

3/4" poly spacer (raises car 1.5â€, with 1/4 spacer spring is loose when jacked up)

1†Shelby drop

Roller perches

KYB low pressure shocks.

Rear springs are Scott Drake 4.5 mid eye

1" lowering blocks

Wheels:15x7 4.25 BS

Tires: 235/60-15 all around

ride height now: 26.10†stock*: 26.813†delta: -0.713â€

Center of wheel to lip now: 12.75†stock*: 14.813†delta: -2.063â€

*stock= 47 year old springs, stock wheels, 215/70R 14 tires, 351W, FMX

It's not ride height 26.1, that how tall the tires are.  I never measured from the floor to wheel lip,  I thought for stance it was preferred to measure from axle center to wheel lip to take tires out of equation=12.75" all around

Larry

So just using the 12.75 number with 15x7 wheels w/4.25 BS and 235-60-15 tires...  My car sitting on stock 14x6 wheels and 215-70-14 tires is at 13.75".  The wheel and tire set up larryc94 is running should fit on my car with no problem or rubbing ?  Brian

To answer my own question yes the tire and whell combo fits in the wheel well.  The problem arises with the added width the added 20 mm = .787".   That's a bit more than 3/4" and results in a rub.  I know we have had this discussion before and we all have the same problem; finding a tire that we like that fits on a wheel we like and that fits on the car.  Oh well the search continues.  Brian

So just using the 12.75 number with 15x7 wheels w/4.25 BS and 235-60-15 tires...  My car sitting on stock 14x6 wheels and 215-70-14 tires is at 13.75".  The wheel and tire set up larryc94 is running should fit on my car with no problem or rubbing ?  Brian

I have no rubbing and fenders are not rolled and your axle or center of wheel to fender lip is 1" higher.  CJ's did offer this combo but stated is was not for 65-66 for the front, for those they recommend 15x6 wheel

Larry

Thank you Larry.  Sorry for the tangent.  Yes the 15x6 wheels solves the front tire rub problem.  The tires I like don't come in a 6".  Round and round.  Brian

Is this for your 69?  Why would you have a tire rub?

Larry

Yes for my 69.  Well we have had this discussion before and, of course, I cannot "SEARCH ' succesfully for the threads but... other owners have reported rubs using the 235-60-15 tires.   Brian

The thing I can think of maybe thery were using an 15x8 wheel and the other is I have -0.8* camber/ 3.2* caster in the front.  And I guess I'm 2" lower?   Just thought of not having Shelby drop cause + camber gain on compression, maybe that causes rub?

You can be safe and go with the 225/60-15 which is 25.6" tall.  

I had the 215/70-14 which are 25.9" tall and didn't want to go shorter so thats how I went with 235/60-15 which is 26.1" tall

BTW the Boss cars had F60-15's which translates to the 235/60-15

Larry

FYI in a previous post one of our resident experts barnett468 has said that he has used 235x60-15 on a 15x7 wheel with a 4.25 back space with no rubbing on 50+ cars. I asked but he didn't respond whether or not the cars had the Shelby drop or different springs.