My Mach 1

Whats your favorite wheel for a Mach 1

Hey all, I'm replacing my 14" Magnums 500 chrome steel wheels with a 15" set and will most likely go with the Magnums again. But I wanted to know..."if you had to" replace your existing wheels... what kind and brand of wheels would you replace them with?If you have Magnums would you stay with those?would you maybe try out the Aluminum Alloy Magnums? or would you go with a Weld Alloy wheel ? A Centerline Convo Pro perhaps....Would you try something different? Would you dare? Lol...Let's hear from everyone!

My Mach 1, I love the look of the Magnums but EVERYONE is running them. I wanted something other than that so I went with the 15" version of the stock GT wheel. All chrome so no trim ring needed. Makes for a neater look. At least to my eye. Using the stock caps also.  Dave R.

post-39150-0-61576100-1475543529.jpg

Did the same thing, had 14" Magnum's and replaced with 15'x7 Magnum's with 235/60-15.  IMHO there's no other wheel for a classic, I'm not into the wagon wheel  rubber band look. 

FYI on the debate who makes the best Magnum 500 Coker tire bought Vintage Wheel and Wheel Vintique and combined manufacture.  So if you buy either one or Coker wheels there all the same.

I got a tire wheel package from CJ's happy with wheels, tires and balance.  requested no weights on outside and they did a good job and surprised they used no tape weight in the middle.  When looked at first I said no way are these balanced, I always balanced my wheel myself at work and always had to do tape weight behind the spokes.  These new wheels tested to 90 mph and very smooth, I'm happy!

They offered me" haven't seen you in a while" 5% discount which was $75 on something that's just about price fixed and found on my own BFG has a $50 gift card for 4 tires from an authorized dealer which CJ's is

First pix 14" and second 15" suttle difference, can't seem to get the both photo's showing the same prospective.  Also a trivia fact the the center section on the 14" & 15" that's welded in is exactly the same, the difference is in the rim section is wider

post-38071-0-30801800-1475542592.jpg

post-38071-0-49208000-1475543269.jpg

Well so far it's hands down for the 15" Magnum steels. Yeah, sorry but I personally don't care for the look of the VN500s Alloys. I'm putting MT 275 x 60 R15s ET Street Drag Radials on the back with my new 15x8 Magnums and MT 26x6 x15 Sportman SR on the front 15x4 Magnums. I getting them from Wheel Vintique they are the only ones that will make me a 5.5" bs on my 15x8s. They quoted me $80 for shipping.

What about the rest of you guys and gals?? What do you think. What would you do if you had to do it again.

I'd like to hear  what larryc94 has to say about the 15x7 wheels and 235/60/15 tires ?  What is the back space ?  Your car has stock or shelby 1" drop suspension  and no rubbing?  I prefer the stock looking Vintiques in Dave's photo.  Brian

post-33155-0-97677700-1475582884.jpg

Mine are 4.25 BS, have no rubing, no fender rolling.  Have Shelby drop with Grabba-trac 620's for a 65-66 un-cut  which are rated at 560 lb  with 3/4 poly spacer roller perches. Using GYB GR2. The rear I have Scott Drake 4.5 mid eyes with 1" blocks 

Front suspension just sucks up washboard roads like nothing, same with speed bumps can hit them at 10mph suspension absorbs it.  The rear is harsher over the speed bumps

Larry

Hubcaps for me on 14+7 rims...Got tired of slotted mag rims long ago.

I find it rare to see hubcaps on any Mach-1 and i like that..

Some BIG 17-18 in rims would fill it out better but i really dont care for that look.

post-44083-0-53839200-1475584795.jpg

I think the magnums are a fantastic looking wheel, but it is hard to find a Mach 1 without them, and they are not the correct wheel. I prefer the larger version of the originals, as previously posted in this thread. I had Specialty make me a custom set where the center piece was argent rather than chrome, because that's what the GTs had. 

I even like the deep dish hubcaps on the Bosses more that the Magnums these days. They are great looking and you rarely see them.

Ok, I'm going to be different. mach%201%20minilites_zpsxmiaiux2.png

I really like the way these look on a rather stock appearing Mach. '69 or '70, 15" to 17" (depending on size preference). Old school, yet contemporary.  

The really good thing about different wheels, they bolt on and can be changed easily.

Before anybody makes a comment that is a diaper under the car.. 

If it didnt leak oil i would think somethings wrong...

Mach 1s don't leak.  They are just marking their territory!

I'm partial to the old school look.  I like the stock GT style wheels, Magnums, Cragers, Keystone Classics, and slotted aluminum mags.  Solid brushed or polished Centerlines can look good also, especially for the racer look with big meats in the back and pizza cutters up front.  Do not care for the tall rims with thin tire.

Ok, I'm going to be different. mach%201%20minilites_zpsxmiaiux2.png

I really like the way these look on a rather stock appearing Mach. '69 or '70, 15" to 17" (depending on size preference). Old school, yet contemporary.

The really good thing about different wheels, they bolt on and can be changed easily.

Hard to beat Mini Lites, other than the price. I've loved that look since the early 80's.

I forget The member's name who owns that white 70. He purchased a gun shop in Santa Maria, Ca and didn't have time for the car.

Edit: Ha! Powershift is his screen name.

Hey latoracing - what wheels are the ones you have? they look good on your car.I find that it's a fine line between old school and contemporary. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what works and what doesn't.The wrong wheels will change the whole vibe of the car. There are so many choices out there today that I ask myself the same question I posted - should I go with the Magnums again or try something else a little newer in style, a little more comtemporary yet old school?or should I go back to the Mighty Magnums? But like someone posted earlier in the thread,there are lots of Mach 1s out there with Magnums.Sometimes it's nice to see something different - but it is a classic wheel. I find this topic very interesting and I'm enjoying seeing all the responses. Looking forward to more people chiming in.

Mine are 4.25 BS, have no rubing, no fender rolling.  Have Shelby drop with Grabba-trac 620's for a 65-66 un-cut  which are rated at 560 lb  with 3/4 poly spacer roller perches. Using GYB GR2. The rear I have Scott Drake 4.5 mid eyes with 1" blocks 

Front suspension just sucks up washboard roads like nothing, same with speed bumps can hit them at 10mph suspension absorbs it.  The rear is harsher over the speed bumps

Larry

Whats your wheel and tire size Larry?

I like the original chrome Styled Steel wheels on the 69 Mach 1's.  Still have the original's on my Mach 1.  If they were to ever be replaced I'd probably go with the 15x7 repro versions of them.  Magnum 500's are nice.  But they are like the Chevrolet Camaro.  Millions of them out there.  If you look closely at the Magnum 500's, you'll notice they were not specific to Ford and other car mfg's also used them, but with different center caps.  If you want a Magnum 500, there are some billet aluminum versions that look close to the steel wheel.

Hey latoracing - what wheels are the ones you have? they look good on your car.I find that it's a fine line between old school and contemporary. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out what works and what doesn't.The wrong wheels will change the whole vibe of the car. There are so many choices out there today that I ask myself the same question I posted - should I go with the Magnums again or try something else a little newer in style, a little more comtemporary yet old school?or should I go back to the Mighty Magnums? But like someone posted earlier in the thread,there are lots of Mach 1s out there with Magnums.Sometimes it's nice to see something different - but it is a classic wheel. I find this topic very interesting and I'm enjoying seeing all the responses. Looking forward to more people chiming in.

The picture I posted was actually off of this site, copied it off of Google.

The wheels I am going to run on my car are of the modern 3-piece 18", non Magnum, way far from stock type. As my build is heavily modified, I went with Formula 43, RAD 14. 

18 x 9.5 / 18 x 12, definitely needed some slight massaging to fit lol.

IMG_20141108_175006_zpsfpegytni.jpg

I was going to go with http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html but I ended up going off the deep end. If / when I build another one, it will have Minilites in a more rotatable size.