Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Question about adding power disc brake booster.

My question for anyone who has converted from manual brakes to power disc brakes, what did you use to open up the hole in the firewall where the manual brake master cylinder went through to accept the power brake booster. I already have the template. How did you cut the hole larger?.

An air saw is definitely the best choice.  You can use a carbide bit afterwards to clean it up if necessary.  The template is not needed really... when you remove the steering column, upper dashpad and the pedal support (so that you can install your new power brake pedal) you'll notice the back of the firewall is marked where you need to cut.

david

Nice conversion kit.  Myself, I'd steer away from the aftermarket brake booster and opt for an original Bendix or Midland booster.  I tried a Bendix replacement booster that Scott Drake sells.  It was garbage.  After trying three of them and returning each one I found the seal I needed to fix my Bendix booster and reinstalled it.  Some problems I had with the Scott Drake booster. (1) studs not straight so they wouldn't line up with the firewall holes.  (2) booster itself had strange tabs underneath the rubber boot that needs to fit through the firewall opening and wouldn't.  (3)  here is a big one, the push rod that attaches to the brake pedal looks correct but was shaped slightly differently than the original causing the brake lights to be stuck on all the time.  The shape of that rod is very critical for the brake light switch to work correctly.  (3) studs for the master cylinder too long, thus, the master cylinder could not be installed after the booster was bolted into place.

Unless you are looking for some type of performance kit, I would use do the conversion with original parts.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=west+coast+classic+cougars+brake+booster+video&&view=detail&mid=0758B131EAFEBC231B100758B131EAFEBC231B10&FORM=VRDGAR

While you can't go wrong with using correct factory parts.....

I used the Tuff Stuff power booster on my 69 conv as it was smaller and allowed me to fit the willwood MC in which is longer than the stock one.

I am very happy with it, it is basically the same boosternthat was used on the boss429 cars.

And price wise it was cheaper than a rebuilt original

As it is smaller it gives more room to work back in that tight corner

Bob

While you can't go wrong with using correct factory parts.....

I used the Tuff Stuff power booster on my 69 conv as it was smaller and allowed me to fit the willwood MC in which is longer than the stock one.

I am very happy with it, it is basically the same boosternthat was used on the boss429 cars.

And price wise it was cheaper than a rebuilt original

As it is smaller it gives more room to work back in that tight corner

Bob

I don't know if that size of a booster that Tuff Stuff sells was ever used on a Mustang since its larger diameter will interfere with the clutch rod from the pedal to the Z-bar.

I don't know if that size of a booster that Tuff Stuff sells was ever used on a Mustang since its larger diameter will interfere with the clutch rod from the pedal to the Z-bar.

The one I have from them I doubt will interfere.

Bob