Sign in to follow this  
Caseyrhe

Black Hood Paint Lines

I have read the the blogs for the flat black paint color on a Mach 1 hood and passed that on to the paint shop. From what I remember reading, the 69 had a smooth flat black and 70 had a rough flat black, am I correct? They told me there is going to be a slight elevation change where the black meets the color, does this sound correct? Or should it be a smooth transition.

Well since your asking...  My car has been repainted, not by me, probably 20+ years back.  Acrylic paint, for the body and I don't know what was used for the hood probably acyrilic with a flatener.  The hood black out has a very fine, orange peely type textured finish.  The hood black out panels and pin stripes do rise above the red so yes an elevation change.  Hard to get a picture of what I am describing but look close ?  Brian

post-33155-0-20688700-1475114397.jpg

post-33155-0-94937800-1475114411.jpg

post-33155-0-78914400-1475114524.jpg

I'm working on finding the "just right " black treatment paint. I'm trying to find black with minimal shine. I only have a few weeks to figure out the hood paint. Any and all help is appreciated.

Dave

If you are applying a two stage base coat-clear coat paint the sheen is determined by the clear coat not the base coat.  If you are using a single stage acrylic enamel paint a flat finish black will become chalky after some time.  As far as sheen, I think the original black paint was more of an egg shell or satin finish and not a flat finish.

I have read the the blogs for the flat black paint color on a Mach 1 hood and passed that on to the paint shop. From what I remember reading, the 69 had a smooth flat black and 70 had a rough flat black, am I correct? They told me there is going to be a slight elevation change where the black meets the color, does this sound correct? Or should it be a smooth transition.

There will be a transition edge where the stripes meet the base color on the hood.  The only way I know of to avoid that is a lot of clear over the entire hood after the black is applied then color sanding enough to eliminate the edge.

In high school a friend of mine had a 1970 Mach 1 still with original paint.  The black treatment on the hood had a smooth finish like the 69's have. 

You are correct.

timely topic for me. I am struggling with either clear coating over hood stripe or something like sem hot rod black over the clear coat for a more factory finish. i like to drive a lot and its more of a durability and ease of cleaning issue for me. leaning towards clear coat/gloss stripe. 

My painter mentioned a flattener clear coat, will give him the paint codes mentioned above, but imaginethere will be a slight elevation change which should be fine. If first he doesn't succeed, he will have to try again.....kinda like his first attempt at black jade.