Print Dad

Thoughts on going back to original

Around here most of the shows I attend are peoples' choice, not a show to a judging standard (such as MCA).  Some have argued that peoples' choice amounts to a popularity contest among the members of the club putting on the show.  In my experience, that is not the case as I have shown cars that were recognized by the attendees even though i am not a member of the sponsoring club.  Occasionally there is an MCA show and the key to showing well is to properly classify the car for what it is (Driven, Trailered, Thoroughbred, etc) as well as what aspects are judged.  For example Modified classes allow far more latitude in non-stock features  with condition, cleanliness, and workmanship being the primary judging criteria.  That and "no undercarriage" means I don't have to clean 40+ years of road slime off the bottom of the car !! For me it is more about the many conversations I have with the spectators and the friends I have made over the years as a result of those conversations.

Another factor that can play into how a car is recognized is the unique history of the car itself.  For example a very good friend of mine has a '69 Mach 1 that has was a barn find, in her own barn!!!  Mom drove it daily in the 1970's.  Really a nice original car with evidence of daily use prior to being parked in the barn in the late 1980's.  The car came out of the barn 4 years ago due to a wild fire that was closing in on the family ranch.  She put together a photo collage including a video of the CalFire tankers dropping fire retardant near the barn and the car being awakened from hibernation all helped to paint a story about a cherished family heirloom brought back to be enjoyed.  This Mach 1 is truly loved and enjoyed and it shows in the smile of the owner.  Though there were trophy wining shinier cars in the show field that day, her Mach 1 was voted "Best of Show" for what it represented.

Hello Machspeed,

Thanks for the kind words. Here is another area where I am a bit torn.

I have thought of going with the Magums = but the keystones on it are the ones

that came with the car when we bought it. In some ways I am trying to keep the

feel and look of what we purchased.

​I certainly am thinking of going with the magnums and possibly going back to

stock valve covers instead of the tall Morroso on it now.

This is something I think I must decide this winter and will weigh any and all ideas and

suggestions

On the one hand - I like the looks of the Keystones as they are different and on the other

hand I know it should have the Magnums.

​To be honest it is cold here and I have not done much to the car since the season ended

But again  - -Thanks for the suggestion

I think i will post a picture of the motor so people can offer ideas on that as well

At this point - I am thinking the car is in pretty good shape and we love it but

​I am not certain where we are headed in phase 2 - -the next forty years   LOL

Thanks all for taking the time to read this post that originally started as a Whah Whah 

baby - -but I got the juices running and in either case I still LOVE the car and my wife

is always happy when we are cruising   LOl

Thanks again

Sam

When the time was right to start the restoration on my car, after it sat in my garage for 11 years, the fella that I had selected to do the work asked me a question. He said "What do you want to do with this car?" My response was "I want to drive it whenever I want and go to some cruise-ins and maybe a show now and then. I do not want a concour 100 point trailer queen show car." These cars can be brought to any level for any purpose. Owners choice on that. Saving them from the shredder or crusher is the important aspect. This year was my second summer of enjoying my Mach 1. I went to several local shows. One I didn't even realize was a show until I got there. I was fortunate to win two trophies but the really satisfying part of my summer was talking to the spectators and car owners. Most questions were reasonable and sincere. I allowed pictures of people sitting IN the car not ON the car. One couple were dressed to the nine's and posed for several pictures next to my car. When I asked why the fancy clothes they told me that they had just gotten engaged and came to the car show for engagement pictures. I don't know how many cars they posed with for pictures that day but I did feel a certain amount of pride that they selected mine as one of them. There will always be a small number of fools that wander around the shows and cruise-ins. Mostly the jealous, want to be a owner types I think. I try to be understanding with them. My 40 years in law enforcement taught me to deal with people of all personalities. I talk to owners of any make car at these gatherings. It is easy to huddle up with owners of cars that are like yours and ignore the rest. Many owners of the classic cars went through the same troubles we did when restoring these old cars. I guess that the main difference is "What do you want to do with this car?" Dave R.

Hello Dave,

Yes you bring up a lot of thoughts on the car.

I would like to address a few so others may understand my situation

1. - I have worked on this car for about 40 years and have done everything except paint.

I love to work on other people' s cars and we do a lot of work helping others. That includes

the Chevie and Dodge guys  LOL..  No seriously, our friends are mainly car guys that work on

their cars and we wrench with each other. Gotta see the 61 Studebaker Lark Convertible that the

owner and I dropped a 350 with a 700r4  - we had a lot of issues and had to pull the motor and

tarni 3 time due to train issues- -the owner of that car just turned 80 LOL  This was a great job

and we had a LOAD of fun to go along with the scrapes and bruises.

So yeah I like to help work on cars and helping friends

2. - When we bought the car it was for us to cruise and enjoy and hang with our car friend buddies.

It was nothing special but we like the car and it has been a blast to own and drive. It could never be a trailer 

queen and that is not what we wanted - -we wanted a SHelby but couldn't find one in our price ut this

Mach is a pretty cool looking car.

3. - We kept the car for a long time and figured after our son finished college and got married it was time

to do a little on the car for us.  It was the painter that convinced us to paint it back to the original grabber

green.    Before the paint job the car was black and looked pretty good but a lot of dings and tiny dents

so we painted the car and I think he did a great job. WE cotinued to go to more and more shows and meets

When we go to the meets, we immediately leave the car and go talk to people about their rides.

It is not like we arrive and detail the car and stay right there- -nope - not our style - -we like to walk around

see old friends and meet new ones.

I must admit - I thought the car would get a lot of attention and perhaps win some trophies. It was then

that I thought - wow this will be cool - win a few trophies for all the work and efforts.

Gotta admit - although our car looks good - there are always better ones around.

Then I got to thinking - -the main reason we have the car is enjoy it and have some fun.

When we go the shows - -we know a LOT of people and all the guys like my wife and treat her with

great respect. We are in our 60's and when we pull in - -lots of guys yell - -"here come the kids"  LOL

So yeah - i will continue to help others and work on cars - and go to shows but I realize that winning

is NOT important. We have a LOT of fun at the shows and that is what this hobby is about

Now I am at the point where I would like to change a few things and make the car even better but not sure

what I will do

For example - -we still listen to the 8 tracks but i know my wife would love an MP3 player in the car.

I have 4 (8 track players) and have quite a few tapes. Just not certain what I want to do.

When I look at the car - it brings me back to the 70's when loads of people were driving muscle cars

So now -the body is tea real good - -the interior very good but could use a few things

then engine compartment could use some work - just not sure if I will add more chrome or go back

to stock. z At first I was thinking of making it look more stock for the judges - -but now I realize that the

judges don't matter - it is what my wife and I like

So to sum up this novel - - Yes the car is in good shape- - it runs well and is a lot of fun to drive although

I must admit when we cruise - hardly ever get a thumbs up or anything. It is just another car around here

but it is OUR car and it is what we like.

So yeah - -"what do I want to do with this car" is a great question and I am trying to figure out where I will head

with the car in the next 40 years.

Thanks- -but really when I started this thread I was a little down - -the people here lifted me up and reminded me

that trophies mean nothing - it is the friendships and talking with others that counts

Be well - -and thanks - -I just gotta figure out the next phase for the car   LOL

SAm

2. -